Unmanaged switch pings only after power cycle

KingPresident

I'm not a network guy, but I play one on TV.

So, I can ping my unmanaged switch in the control panel only after a power cycle. The PLC and HMI and other field devices physically attached to the switch maintain comms just fine. It's when I have to go out and plug in(not on the plant network yet) to make a change that I *have* to power cycle. No amount of ipconfig, ping, setting and resetting my adapter works. It's not crucial, but I can't connect without disrupting the process. New switch time?

I'm confused, I'm not aware of any unmanaged switches that have an IP that you can ping? And as long as you can ping the HMI/PLC you should be good?

If the switch has an IP address, then you have a managed switch. An unmanaged switch would have no need of an IP address.

You are trying to connect to something, the switch or PLC? If you have to reboot the switch to get online with the PLC? Maybe a swich problem, maybe a network problem.

Are you sure of the network? If there is a duplicate IP for example, even an unmanaged switch will block one of them to keep the network up.

what's the make/model of the switch? does the switch have port activity lights? are the lights active at first after the power cycle then go off or stay lit continuously? have you tried doing a continuous ping ie: "ping 192.168.201.1 -t", if that were the target devices IP? Ctrl +C will stop the continuous ping if you try that. have you tried using a packet sniffing tool like Wire Shark to record the network activity?

Cant connect without disrupting the process ?

There's some important info missing here. That's acting like a managed switch. We will need details on that hardware.

Ran into the same issue when I made a ring, do you possibly have a device plugged into the system twice?

Ran into the same issue when I made a ring, do you possibly have a device plugged into the system twice?

I'd be really curious to see a drawing of the system topology (ie which network cables go where).

FYI, many IO devices these days have a built in 2 port switch, to allow for rings in a configured network. It is easy to make a loop accidentally if you aren't careful. If there is nothing to manage the loop and turn it into a ring/mesh, your system will go down just like you describe.