Proximity Sensors

boxhead

Hi All,
Can someone tell me if you can connect 2 proximity sensors in parallel? 110vac

Cheers

Corey

Yes you can, i have done with 2wire prox. and think it will work fine on 3 wire too

jack

Sensors

Thanks,
I will tell you why, we tried it today with 2 telemec 2 wire proxies 110v. Connected them +-+- acroos 110v supply and they virtually destructed. Is this correct way to connect?

Cheers

Corey

NO not in series.

NOT power wise that is, the power can be connected normally if they are 3 wire sensors, then the "output(s)" can be in series.

Last edited:
Sensors

Thanks guys,
I did this purely because the other sensors, on other belts go back to input card on the AB plc. Does the input card act as a load? Our system runs on 110v ac.

Any help appreciated (still learning)

Cheers

Corey

As Thomas said, yes. Since you provided more info, I'll do the same:

+---------------+
L1 <-------[ SENSOR ]--------| PLC INPUT |
| |
| --- PLC --- |
| |
L2/N <-----------------------| INPUT COMMON |
+---------------+

🍻

-Eric

There are ways around this problem that I have either used or seen used.
In order of preference:
1, wire each prox back individually. This is not the question you asked, but it is my preferred way of doing things.
2, Wire each prox individually to a relay, then connect the relays in either series or parallel, as needed by the logic.
3, For only series, it is often possible to wire a small number of two wire proximities in series. This will be on trial and error basis. Often, an interposing relay would also be needed.

One other problem I found with two wire proximity switches is that the off current is high enough to trigger the input, so I often wire the two wire proximity switches through relays as my normal policy.

"One other problem I found with two wire proximity switches is that the off current is high enough to trigger the input, so I often wire the two wire proximity switches through relays as my normal policy."

Sometimes on the contrary - particularly with S7 400 series digital inputs , the input impedance is too high to drive the two wire device as well , I have seen ( but don't like) pull down resistors added to drive the device . Much better 3 wire or relay , anything else is trouble .
Of course it is never wise to wire PNP ( sinking ) open collector proxies in parallel as one will blow the collector up on the other ( i think I have that right)

Sensors

Thank-you everyone for your input, it has been more than helpful and i have it working fine at the moment. One minor glitch is that if the first sensor operates, it indicates i citect fine but when i reset it the second sensor operates ( although you can reset it straight away on citect)I assume this is because the plc scan is quick enough to pick up the second sensor before it powers up. Would this be correct?

Once again thank-you for the help, i find this site very informative.Also has anyone got the last series of the plc update newsletter? As i swithed providers a few months (about 5) back and forgot to change my email address here until recently.

If anyone has them could they email to

[email protected]

Cheers

Corey