New to AB panelview +600 & AB PLC

theripley

Hi

I am not new to PLC programming & HMI graphic making, however, I am new to AB. I am not very comfortable using AB because it is quiet different from the brands I am used to working with.

I have a new project, which requires using AB PLC & HMI. This is not a new application, therefore, the PLC program & HMI graphics are both existing and ready to be downloaded to new PLC & HMI.

My new panelview is 2711P-T6C5D8, the old (existing) model is 2711P-T6C5D. I have checked & found that both are almost the same except that the 8 is a little bigger and has higher memory capacity. I am assuming that there will be no problem if I use the old HMI graphics & download it to the new HMI.

This HMI has RS-232 communication only. I was informed by the former programmer (who is out of the country at the moment) that he had had a problem with downloading graphics content from computer to HMI using RS-232. He advised me to use a USB instead as it worked well with him before.

1.) Does anyone know how to download HMI graphics using USB? I cannot find any instruction about it.

2.) Using the previous HMI graphics, can I directly download it to the new HMI? Do I need to change anything?

Please help.

I don't really know what you mean by "HMI graphics"?....:unsure:
Any HMI terminal needs an user application in order to provide HMI functionality.
For a PanelView Plus terminal, the development environment is the FactoryTalk View Studio software, either ME (Machine Edition)or SE (Site Edition): once the development application (containing graphics, animation, visibility, etc, CPU tag relationshiphs/connections and communications configuration) is finalized, a "Runtime"(.mer) file needs to be compiled from within the development application and downloaded (transferred) to the terminal.
The download/transfer could be accomplished via PC to HMI established communications or via removable media such as CompactFlash (CF), SecureDigital (SD) or USB memory, depending of the terminal's "External Storage" availability.
Your "old" .mer file will be okay on the new terminal since both, the existing and the replacement terminals have the same DPI display resolution (PV+ 600), however, the .mer (Runtime) file's revision level has to perfectly match the HMI terminal's firmware level one!
Most likely the "old" terminal is at a lower firmware revision than the replacement; the FTVS software needs to be at the same or higher level than the replacement terminal firmware level one in order to "convert" the "old".mer to the required "new" level.
If you have the development application, open it up and then, from the Menu bar, choose Application and then Create Runtime Application; when prompted, Save As the same level as the firmware running on the replacement terminal; if you don't have the "old' development application but you have the Runtime (.mer) one (at least at level 5.0), using the FTVS Application Manager/ Restore Runtime feature, you will have to convert the "old" .mer into a development application and then perform the above described "Create Runtme Application" matching the terminal's firmare level.
Once done, you will have to locate the .mer (Runtime) application you have just created for the replacement terminal; on the machine running FactoryTalk View Studio the default bin is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime.
On your choice of USB media create the nested folders Rockwell Software>RSViewME>Runtime, place the .mer file within the "Runtime" folder, insert the USB media into the terminal's USB port and then, from within the HMI's Application Settings interface, choose File Management, Copy Applications, from Source External Storage to Destination Internal Storage.
Once the .mer is within the HMI's Intrnal Storage memory partition, from the HMI's Configuration screen, you will have to Load the Runtime and then Run it.
This is not easy for a Rockwell HMI novice; it will take you a while and quite a few tries, however, you will eventually have to "get used" to it for future reference.
I would first try to study the following manuals:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf
and
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewme-um004_-en-e.pdf

dmargineau,

Your reply is highly appreciated. Thank you very much for the links you provided.

I don't really know what you mean by "HMI graphics"?....:unsure:

By HMI graphics, I mean the graphics, animation, tags, screens, etc that is being "set/programmed" on the HMI. That is a personal term I use. I would appreciate it if you share with me its "technical" term.

AB micrologix1400 PLC

In line with my personal quest to learn basic AB skills on PLC & HMI, I tried downloading a program to Micrologix1400 PLC. Here are the steps I followed: (Kindly leave comments as my procedure deviates from that of the user's manual).

1.) I turned ON both the PC & PLC.
2.) I used 1585J-M8CBJM-5 cable (Ethernet) to connect PC to PLC.
3.) I opened BOOTP/DHCP server.
4.) On the Relation list, I clicked new and entered the MAC, IP adress & host name. See AB5 picture The added connection is seen at the Request History portion.
5.) I opened RSLogix500, clicked Go to comms then Online.
6.) I opened the program that I wished to download to the PLC & clicked download.
7.) A pop-up message appeared (See AB2 picture). I clicked YES.
8.) Whilst the program is downloading, another pop-up message appeared (See AB1 picture). I clicked DONT APPLY.
9.) I have successfully downloaded the program to the PLC.

QUESTION:
What is the significance of the two pop-up messages? Is it a call for worry?

AB5.png AB1.jpg AB2.jpg

basicly the popup asked if you wanted to use the 192.168.0.47 Ip address.
or the Ip address in your offline program. you told it to use the 192.168.0.47, if they are the same no sinificance.

Test run application on FactoryTalk View Studio

As I have "successfully" downloaded my PLC program, I test .mer application on my PC since my HMI has not yet arrived. Here are the steps I followed, while I am Online with PLC:

1.) I opened FactoryTalk View Studio ME on my PC.
2.) I clicked Test application & ran the .mer file.
3.) The file ran, however, there are a number errors that appeared (See pictures AB3 & AB4). What might be the reason for these errors? I worry that the same error will appear once I downloaded it to the HMI.

Please help.

AB3.jpg AB4.png

have a look at your orignal offline comm settings and compare them to your settings in the plc (online). if you are connected to the plc via e-net for test the com settings for serial comms from the hmi to plc will give you these errors because its trying to use the serial and you are hooked up e-net

basicly the popup asked if you wanted to use the 192.168.0.47 Ip address.
or the Ip address in your offline program. you told it to use the 192.168.0.47, if they are the same no sinificance.

How will I know "the IP address in my offline program"?

The IP Address of any PV+ terminal is not part of the HMI application!!!!
Also, it is not a good idea to try setting the IP Address of a PV+ terminal using the BOOTP utility; BOOTP is generally intended to be used with "semi-dumb" Ethernet devices which do not support any networking settings GUI interface.
Reboot your old HMI and then, within the Application Settings interface, select Networking and Communications and then choose the Network Adapter configurator; there, you will be able to acquire the IP Address of the terminal to be replaced.
After this, it is simply a matter of repeating the same steps for the replacement terminal, not forgetting to Disable BOOTP and using a Static Address; upon setting the IP Address, reboot the terminal.

Thanks to all that helped. I was able to successfully download to my HMI & PLC:) Maraming salamat po:) - Translation: Thank you very much.

8.) Whilst the program is downloading, another pop-up message appeared (See AB1 picture). I clicked DONT APPLY.

QUESTION:
What is the significance of the two pop-up messages? Is it a call for worry?[/quote]
i am laso the facing of same popup message.What is the meaning of channel configration shall we click apply or not apply

I want to know about communication protocol RS232.Why we use this protocol for data communinaction between PLC and HMI/PC.If some one tell me how many other type of comminication protocol are there for communicating PLC and HMI/PC.

In my machine we are using PRO FACE touch screen (HMI) to communicate with SLC5 Allen Bradly PLC.Some one tell me how to get free Software for PROFACE HMI then how to write programmed in HMI which will communicate with PLC user programme.