Mitsubishi Q series: Adding new modules

Mas01

We recently ran out of spare AD channels on our PLC and now I've just received a new Q68AD-G to give us extra capacity.

My plan:
1. remove one of the QG60 "blank cover" modules and plug the new module in.
2. GX Developer Configuration - Updating the I/O tab on GX Developer - this defines the start and end address of the new card [BUT how do I know the start/end addresses?]
3. Code update - I think I will need to add some extra code in the ANALOGUE section to configure the new card so that the PLC can read it.

Am I right in the above? Are there other things I need to do?
Thanks

Last edited:
Page 50 of this manual shows the addressing.
https://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/fa/document/manual/plc/sh080483eng/sh080483engaw.pdf

However, start at the main rack and each slot will either contain a 16 or 32 way module,
For example
Slot 0 is 16 way input then this is X0 to X1F
Slot 1 is 32 way so it becomes X20 to 3F
Slot 2 is intelligent i.e. analog is also 32 way so 40 to 5F
and so on
You will need to select the parameters of the card i.e. 4-20ma etc.

If I remember correctly, if you install the card, power up the PLC then read the Parameters it should automatically set the I/O, it's been a few years since I did one.

Update,...I powered off the PLC rack removed a blank QG60, inserted a new QX10 in its place. Turned power on...Now I get a ERR red LED flashing on the CPU module. Any ideas what's causing this? Thought adding a new module in would be a straight swap, wishful thinking!

Parky, when you say 'read the parameters', are you referring to pressing the 'read PLC data' button?
I was about to do that, but the message that pops up scared me, so I pressed NO.

IMG_20210423_152355.jpg

Last edited:
You cannot just replace a card you need to configure the I/O so in the parameters, select the I/O & slot and select an input & 16 points, then download the PLC Parameters, then reset the error it should be ok.

Parameters.png

You cannot just replace a card you need to configure the I/O so in the parameters, select the I/O & slot and select an input & 16 points, then download the PLC Parameters, then reset the error it should be ok.

Yes, for the QX10, I selected the I/O (input, in my case, from drop-down list), manually typed "QX10" in the next field (there was no drop-down list) and selected '16 points' from the next drop-down list.. At that point, I pressed the 'Read PLC data' button (was that the right one to press?). Then I got the warning message as in my last picture, then I got worried by the wording and didn't have the nerve to proceed, so I pressed NO....I think the Japanese/English wording looked ominous and I got worried.

No that will read what is stored in the PLC, this is fine as it will read the configuration as it creates it's own, you don't need to tell it the card only it is input & 16 points, it is ok to read the parameters from the PLC, but just selecting the type of input & number of points will do, you need to either upload the configuration from the PLC & save it or download it, because it has faulted power down & back up, then you may have to go to Diagnostics, PLC diagnostics & reset the current error, then set the processor to run.

Sorry for being thick - when you say I need to "download the PLC parameters", do you mean I should do a 'write to PLC' command (F4 key, I think it is)?

Yes once you have entered the new card in the parameters press end (by the way just for information on the card fitted, you can type in QX10 in the model name), then go online/write to PLC & tick the PLC Parameters, & download the new configuration, you might need to then go to diagnostics, PLC diagnostics, click on the error then press clear error, you may also need to set the PLC to Stop & then run again.

Yes once you have entered the new card in the parameters press end (by the way just for information on the card fitted, you can type in QX10 in the model name), then go online/write to PLC & tick the PLC Parameters, & download the new configuration, you might need to then go to diagnostics, PLC diagnostics, click on the error then press clear error, you may also need to set the PLC to Stop & then run again.
Brilliant. Many thanks for your help.

Do I do this before or after physically inserting the new module?
The new module is a Q68AD-G, type=intelligent, 16point.
It is replacing a blank cover module (QG60), so do I keep the same start address as the Blank cover module (in my case it's Hex 0170)?

intelligent modules must ALWAYS be defined before they are fitted to the backplane, otherwise the CPU will drop into ERR (as you previously seen) with a "PAR ERROR".

Modify the parameter file to reflect the new IO setup, then add the card.

Obviously be aware that the CPU will need to stop, so ensure the plant is safe to turn off for a little while.

Once downloaded the errors should clear with a reset and you should get the RUN light back on.

Normally each slot has 16 bits reserved by default, so in your case this is fine (leave XY assignment as is).