Windows blue screen of death help

_Dock_

Had my first unrecoverable blue screen on Thursday.

I got the following error “driver_verifier_DMA_violation”

I’ve tried just about everything, done the clean, restore health, on the command prompts. Rolling back to a restore point fails mid process, I tried 3 different ones.... tried running all the windows recovery options, no luck.

Short of wiping it and doing a clean windows install from a USB stick does anyone have any other ideas?

This is on my main laptop, 99% of my work is saved to cloud drives so I wouldn’t really lose much, but it’s going to take me several days to get everything I need back on it.

I will say that this was right after running the time synce exe in twincat 3. After you run it you have to restart. I waited till the next morning to restart, after the restart, blue screen.

I guess I should mention that it is win10 pro. Can you initiate the memory test from a CMD window? Thats about all I can get to... it blue screens with the same error every restart.

It’s a 1 year old Lenovo P1 gen 2.

Last edited:
Will it boot in "Safe Mode"?

If it won't do that, then you're probably stuck doing a re-install. Otherwise, there's hope. Did you install something recently? If so, uninstall it.

Will it boot in "Safe Mode"?

If it won't do that, then you're probably stuck doing a re-install. Otherwise, there's hope. Did you install something recently? If so, uninstall it.

I tried enable safe mode with networking. I can’t remember if I tried just safe mode, I can give it a shot.

No recent installs, even if I had I’d never be able to get to it. Cant get past the blue screen.

That must be the new improved blue screen of death
the old one was just a blue screen with a message operating system not found
i have been hit with them more times then I care to count
I had 2 different computes from different manufactures die within the blue screen with the first month of use sent back for repair several times. all running the new Windows 10 each time they said their was nothing wrong
Their standard procedure is to reset the bios back to factory settings and reload the operating system then trouble shoot the system.
then I found out that windows 10 updates the system bios from time to time and some times it doesn't quite get it right. The Blue Screen
sometimes the only way is to reinstall the operating system
Reinstall windows is the only way, then always run the updates the later updates have helped with the problem. I haven't been plagued with it for a while
Always back up your data

DMA violation sounds like a ram issue to me, or a corrupt driver. Is this one of the "fun" motherboards with soldered in ram? If possible, try swapping out for known good ram.

DMA violation sounds like a ram issue to me, or a corrupt driver. Is this one of the "fun" motherboards with soldered in ram? If possible, try swapping out for known good ram.

I don’t believe so, I’ve slated some time to jump on it tomorrow. I think it has removable/ expandable ram ports.

I don’t believe so, I’ve slated some time to jump on it tomorrow. I think it has removable/ expandable ram ports.

Update.

I ran the memory test. No issues found...

Tried safe mode again, no dice.

Ok, now its just time to rip the band aid off and start over. Proceed to a clean install using a USB stick, C drive is encrypted with Bit locker! Yea fun, figure out how to turn bit locker off with the command prompts, proceed to new install from usb.

Finally have windows back on it and it appears stable. Ill be installing software for the next few days...

I hope now one else experiences this as there is no real easy recovery. (that I was able to find anyway)

Something like that happened to me on a jobsite. Laptop froze, win 10 like yours. Turned out to be my screws fell out and that speaker had iron filings on the speakers. (known issue on dells) Then since the screws fell out, dust and dirt collected inside the laptop. So cleaned out the laptop, taped it together. Reseated the ram, like I always think its the ram problem not seated. And it actually booted up and worked. I was shocked that it worked, oh well must of said my prayers that morning. hehe