Required Codesys license for REVOLUTION PI

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I have been going through Kunbus GmbH's website and forum trying to figure out the runtime license required to run Codesys for Raspi, but did not find any explicit reference for what I would like to confirm.
I think it is safe to think that for this REVOLUION PI (RevPi Core), this Codesys runtime license, CODESYS Control for Raspberry Pi SL, (activated on Codesys USB dongle) will do the trick, but if anybody with experience on the combination of hardware and software that I mention above could provide either reassurance or clarification if I am wrong, I shall be very grateful.

There are now two Raspberry Pi Licenses for Codesys. One's 50€ and the other 75€.

The more expensive one runs takes advantage of MultiCore Raspberry Pi's and is the one they advise for industrial applications. This is available to select when you download the runtime to the raspberry pi.

I have installed the multi core license on my Revolution Pi Connect without the dongle. Price increases tomorrow!

Is this for an active device to be used in industry? I've been playing with Codesys lately and it seems quite neat and with nice features (though a visit to the dentist is more enjoyable than using the Ladder editor) but can't seem to find places where it's being used.

Is this for an active device to be used in industry? I've been playing with Codesys lately and it seems quite neat and with nice features (though a visit to the dentist is more enjoyable than using the Ladder editor) but can't seem to find places where it's being used.

Revolution Pi or Codesys? There are projects on the RevPi website where it is being used in industry, and discussions on this forum about uses of Codesys.

Like a lot of us, thanks to the pandemic IÂ’ve had a lot of time on my hands and started playing around with a raspberry pi 3 and nodered. Moved on to installing Ignition Edge on it. Wanted to try it in a real world setting so when I stumbled across the RevPi I bought one, then added analog and discrete io to control a home solar panel array to track the movement of the sun for peak charging. ThatÂ’s where Codesys came into play. Have the Maker edition of Ignition installed on a home computer and it it talks directly to the Codesys OPC server. So no, I havenÂ’t used it in an industrial setting yet, but I think I may the opportunity to this year, especially with the new Compact version with built in io.

Both really... I see REvolution Pi is mostly used for data gathering or small control (like the water tank). Codesys is used in many platforms, but I wonder how common it is to just use vanilla codesys in industry.

I have installed the multi core license on my Revolution Pi Connect without the dongle. Price increases tomorrow!
Hello FluxCap: Thanks for this additional information. Just so that I am 100% sure so I get it right, would be grateful for your further comments. I have purchased at least 8 Codesys for Raspi and one Codesys for Windows licenses, so I am familiar with the procedure for activating USB dongles. Based on your explanation (and please correct me if I am wrong in following statement) to activate the Codesys license in the RevolutionPI you would need to connect the Revolution Pi to a Windows PC with the Codesys engineering environment installed and connected to the Internet, then using the tools/License manager you activate the license directly in the RevolutionPi, am I wrong here?
Another doubt I have is whether, once the Codesys runtime license is activated, if in the future someone formatted the media in the RevolutionPi, the license would be lost. Is this correct? Is there a way to trasfer the license from one revolutionPi to another, or to a Codesys USB dongle?

Another doubt I have is whether, once the Codesys runtime license is activated, if in the future someone formatted the media in the RevolutionPi, the license would be lost. Is this correct? Is there a way to trasfer the license from one revolutionPi to another, or to a Codesys USB dongle?

If installed on the PI itself, then the license is bound to that specific PI and cannot be transferred to another one in the future. There is a file on the PI's filesystem that you can take a backup copy of. Find it, save that one on a reliable medium other than the PI SD card and you will be able to reinstall if ever the SD card in your PI gets corrupted (which is not entirely unlikely). On the same PI mind you, it will not work on another one.

Only if you use the USB dongle method the license will be bound to the dongle rather than the PI itself. That is the only scenario to migrate a codesys PI license to another PI.

I have not used either method, so no first hand experience here. I have only run the evaluation version on a Raspberry PI.

Both really... I see REvolution Pi is mostly used for data gathering or small control (like the water tank). Codesys is used in many platforms, but I wonder how common it is to just use vanilla codesys in industry.

Most smaller PLC or HMI manufacturers use vanilla Codesys.

For example we use Codesys SoftPLC on Exor HMIs.
Beijer, Berghof, ESA Automation all use vanilla Codesys, which a prefer to customized versions like SoMachine.