PanelView 600 - PLC5 Question

zman515

I am a student working on a school project and I am really new to both the PLC programming and PanelView so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I am trying to display the status of the PLC program on the PanelView screen. For example, when an input or output is reached in the PLC program, I am trying to display that on the PanelView.

So here are my questions.

If I have an output at an address like O10:15/6 what is the best way to set up a PanelView screen in Panelbuilder to recognize that address? Should I use a multi-state indicator for each output or one multi-state indicator for many outputs. What if the outputs could be displayed across many screens? Does anything change?

Let me know if I left out any information that you would need to know to assist me.

Thanks in advance.

I've never done a PV w/ the PLC5 but I've done many with the SLC line.

For real applications, I generally like to use a separate Bit file for Display bits on the panelview. I would use the B13 file.

Then, for instance, I would copy the state of the Outputs to a word in the Bit file and display it there. You can copy a bit at a time using rungs like:

O:1/0 B13:1/0
----] [-----------------( )---

This rungwise copy is generally better for indications of physical states wehre you might want to have other conditions present. For instance, to indicate a cylinder is extended you might have the extend limit switch, but also the shop air present indication to make sure it is also under pressure.

Or, for displaying raw outputs I would usually copy a word at a time:

--------------------------+---MOV--------+
|SRC O:1.0 |
|DEST B14:1 |
+--------------+

I'm not sure of the PLC/5 instruction set MOV works the same as I've never used it.

Here is a screen I've used to display the state of all I/O (although not simultaneously) on one screen. Note this is from a PV 1000. When you select a choice from the Input or Output card selector, the number shown is placed in a integer register (i.e. N17:7 for the input card and N17:8 for the output card). Then this is used to copy the status of the card to a word in the Bit file using indirect addressing: MOV I:[N17:7].0 B13:7. Similarly, the selected output card is moved to another word in the bit file: MOV O:[N17:8].0 B13:8 Then I display the bits from the B13:7 and B13:8 words in the status areas as 0 or 1.
IO_Screen.JPG

You might just want to play around with a few bits at a time to get started.

However when it comes to actual projects I have found that for me it's easier or more organized if I copy everything into Bit files before displaying it on the PV and furthermore, to separate the indicating bits into their own file (such as B13) and the input bits such as those that get turned on and off with a touchkey into their own file (such as B14). I put integers displayed or set on the PV in the N17 file and Floats into the F18 file.

Getting back to your specific questions, for displaying bit type data (i.e. the status of a single input or output) I would use a multistate indicator with 2 states; one state for on, one for off. For displaying combinations of bits that form mutually exclusive states, I would use one multi state indicator. As for your other question regarding using objects across screens, the question sounds like it comes off a homework sheet so I would say make a few screens and try to use different objects and see what happens or at least, ask you what you expect to happen?

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice ndzied,

One more question, is there anyway to know that 0:1/0 or B13:1/0 have been read or written to, even if the status of the bits never change?

zman515 said:
Thanks for the advice ndzied,

One more question, is there anyway to know that 0:1/0 or B13:1/0 have been read or written to, even if the status of the bits never change?

If the output instruction is part of a rung that is actively scanned by the processor (not within a MCR "zone", or in a subroutine that is not executed) and not forced to a specific state, the status of the bit will be updated every scan.