FactoryTalk View Studio Displays

ftube

Hello everyone,

I feel like this is probably going to have a simple response but I'm just a student and have been self teaching myself FactoryTalk View Studio.

I have a PanelView Plus 700 hooked up to my PLC. What I'd like to do is have a new display open when an input on the PLC is activated. So if N7:1 = 1 a certain screen will open whereas if N7:1 = 10 a different screen opens. I cannot for the life of me find any option to link a display to a PLC address though.

If this isn't clear or I'm not explaining it well please excuse me because like I said, I'm just a student who is self teaching himself and I'll gladly clarify anything that isn't clear.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

Yes, you can certainly do this. Under the System folder look at the Global Connections editor.

On the Display tab the Remote Display Number field can be assigned to an analog tag. Whatever value gets written to that tag commands the application to open the display with that number assigned to it. So have your PLC program write a value and the terminal will open that display.

Couple things to be aware of:
  • The displays must be assigned unique numbers in the Display Settings for each screen. All screens default to a value of "1". It is up to you to change that.
  • Write a value of zero to the tag to allow the terminal to take over control of which screen is displayed.
  • While you have a non-zero value in that tag, the user at the terminal will be unable to navigate away from that screen.
  • This setting overrides security. If the currently logged in user does not have access to a particular display but the Global Connection commands the terminal to open a specific display, the currently logged in user security is overridden and the display is opened.
Good luck!!

OG

The displays must be assigned unique numbers in the Display Settings for each screen. All screens default to a value of "1". It is up to you to change that.
OG

Thanks for the reply! I cannot find the display settings anywhere, mind pointing me in the right direction?