Slc 5/05 Ethernet Communication

Vic

I am trying to set up the communication between a SLC 5/05 and a Schneider ATV71 drive with an Ethernet I/P communication module. I believe this would be classified as a Generic Ethernet I/P device. I only want to read a few parameters from the drive, not control the drive.

I am having trouble figuring out what should be programmed into the Message Block for the Service, Class, Instance and Attribute. I cannot find any information on what is required. If anyone could point me to some information or give me an example of this type of message, I would be grateful. I have all the applicable manuals but they don't seem to have the information I need.

Thanks

Point us to the manuals ! Is this the Woodhead gateway device ? Are you using the Gateway -> Modbus Serial or the Gateway->Altivar Ethernet interface method ?

Or is there another interface I'm not seeing ?

I haven't used this specific drive interface but in general if it's EtherNet/IP I can figure out a way to make it work.

Edit: Found this technote

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Machine Control/OEM Solutions/8000DB0902.pdf

This looks like a headache in the making. Have you established any of the links between "PCCC elements" and drive parameters ?

Edit 2: I would kick the *** of any salesman who said "oh, sure, it communicates on EtherNet/IP" and then sold me this constellation of components.

Last edited:
What a relief; the actual EtherNet/IP module you linked to is totally different from the Gateway device I found with my searching. Thanks for posting !

The key information is in Chapter 13, starting on Page 58.

The drive can use either a range of vendor-defined parameters (Class 0x70 through 0xA8) with 200 parameters per group, or it can use the ODVA Class 0XA2 "AC/DC Drive" profile. The AC/DC Drive Profile looks like it only supports and handful of parameters.

In the SLC-5/05 you need an operating system and firmware revision that supports the "EEM" Ethernet Explicit Message instruction, which can do most of the same generic CIP functions that the ControlLogix can.

[more shortly]

For example, to read the Motor Current you'd read Parameter 3204 (described on pages 24 and 59).

To read it using the Vendor-Specific objects you send a Get Attribute Single service with
Class = 0x71
Instance = 0x01
Attribute = 0x05

To read it with the AC/DC Drive Object, you send a Get Attribute Single service with
Class = 0x2A
Instance = 0x01
Attribute = 0x09

The Multi-Hop section probably just needs to have the target IP address of the drive. If that doesn't work, try doing another hop to "Port 1, Slot 0" because some devices choose to mimic a ControlLogix in Slot 0.

Make sure you reserve 58 words of space for the Control Block for the EEM. They take a lot of overhead.

Get_Attribute_Single_Altivar71.png

Thanks Ken, I appreciate your help. i should be able to carry on from here when I get the hardware in a few weeks.

By the way, the manual I referenced is not the same as the one I had been using. This is a newer version with much more information on explicit messaging.