How do I detect connection error in TIA Portal HMI?

PavolV

Siemens question: If communication between HMI and PLC fails, how can I detect that in the HMI for multiple connections?

Thanks

Pavol

This is how I do it.

I have 2 internal bool tags, conn_1_ok and conn_2_ok
I have 2 PLC integer tags, conn_1_moving_banner and conn_1_moving_banner for PLC1 and PLC2 respectively.
In the PLC programs, the tags are cycled through 0-10000.
In the HMI, on valuechange on conn_1_moving_banner I use SetValue = 1 (true) on conn_1_ok
In the HMI, on valuechange on conn_2_moving_banner I use SetValue = 1 (true) on conn_2_ok
In the HMI, on System Event 140001 (connection disconnected) I use SetValue = 0 (false) on conn_1_ok, and I use SetValue = 0 (false) on conn_2_ok.

How I do it.

Go to connections> area pointer> coordination.

Activate it and assign it to a word in a DB.

Within that word, there is a bit that can be used.

A life bit that goes high for one second and then low for one second.

Monitor this bit for change in the CPU.

There are a couple of other statuses that can be used too.

Coordination.png

Last edited:
To display on the HMI, just inset a system events banner.

Will tell you what has disconnected and where, as well as other useful information.

System event messages/ information from that CPU turning to ##### on screen.
If that is an aceptable way of detecting a failed connected, and since it is already there per default, then why is PavolV asking for a solution on this forum ?

I am reading PavolV's original question as if he is already using system events 140000 and 140001 since he asks for how to detect the failure of multiple connections.

The system event would log each failed connection as a separate instance. As each one will have it's own communications path surely.

Yes, there will be system log entries for each connection.
And yes there will be "#####" in the input/output fields when they are connected to tags there are offline.

But he has it already (because it is a standard function), so why should he ask for it ?

First JesperMP's reply solved my problem.
I just needed to visualize connections/broken connections with PLC as graphic objects on HMI TP comfort panel.
I tried JesperMP's solution and It works, so yea my issue was solved.
Thanks