Disconnecting HMI and connecting PC to Mitsubishi PLC (A-series)

mkac

Hallo,

I'm supposed to write monitoring application of PLC. I've got following idea. I'd like to disconnect HMI (Mac40+) from PLC CPU (A2AS1) and connect through programming cable PC, witch will read proper data and store it in database (through Mitsubishi MX Components). The idea is quite simple but I've got some hardware doubts:
1. Is it safe to disconnect HMI from PLC CPU while whole system works, and connect PC with SC09 cable ? I don't want to shut down everything to connect PC, but I'm afraid that COM port in PC or CPU will be damaged.
2. Will system work without HMI ? I mean does HMI has influence on CPU work ?

I forgot to mention that HMI is only for monitoring states of system. Human is not needed to start system.

Last edited:
First of all it will depend on what the HMI does, normally the system will continue to run without the HMI, I have unplugged many beijers HMI's from plc's in my days & never destroyed one yet or caused odd things to happen, however that's not to say that it will not cause any problem.
The Mac40+ is quite an old one, the E range (200 & up) have 2 ports so that the 232 port can be used as passthrough i.e. program or fetch data from plc via the HMI.

Thank you for your replay,
I'll try to connect through Mac40+ 232 port, but I don't know if GX Developer or MX componnets will be able go online with configuration as if I connected directly to PLC. I can't find better configuration.

Thanks guys for your help. I've switched cables during run and there were no problems. I've managed to connect successfully and found out devices I was interested in.

Now I'm wandering if there is a way to connect both MAC and PC to PLC. It doesn't have to work simultaneously, it may have switch witch would connect HMI or PC to PLC. This MAC doesn't have second port ...