Opinions on IDEC FC6A?

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, been messing around with the FC6A lately. Used it on a small project and it worked out fairly well. I like the way it has Modbus messaging set up (much less hassle than MicroLogix MSGs). I don't like that multiplying two words (16-bit ints) results in a 32-bit int, and because each tag name is tied to a 16-bit word, you have to make 2 consecutive tag names/labels to avoid having to use a straight address (ex. result is pointed to D7000, 16-bit actual result is in D7001, need to label both addresses).

Wondering what everyone else thinks about these so far. I'm going through the communications manual and really digging the way they have the custom web page functionality set up. We've been thinking about moving towards basically replacing the local HMI with a wireless access point, and then people would use their smartphones as HMIs basically.

Use the CVDT to convert the integer to a double or long. Then single address.

My opinion is the FC6A represent a huge step forward in making programming very user friendly, easy to use and a time saver.

Our work horse is the still the FC5A

Using your smart phone to control machinery! Hmmm!!!!!. That's a little out there, dare I say.......REVOLUTIONARY.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

If the result of multiplying two INTs didn't result in a DINT, the values of the INTs you could multiply would be severely limited. Multiplying 123 times 456 results in an overflow with signed INTs.

Well aware of this, that's why I'd like the choice to truncate or not based on what I'm doing and want accomplished.

What would you truncate an integer multiplication to?
123 x 456 = 56088
Would you truncate that to 32767 or 5608?

Negating what PLCs have set up to catch overflows, the way a 32-bit processor does it is to upcast both 2 16-bit ints into 32-bit (processor width) ints, multiply them into another 32-bit int, then copy out the lower word into a 16-bit int. Assuming a signed int, the result would be -23320.

CVDT

Or do you two have a thing

Lol, now looking at WindLDR and seeing that I can do that in place, guess that's what I'll be using. The whole thing just threw me off to begin with because you select data type on the instruction dialog, and if there aren't different dropdowns to select source and destination data types, I expect that the operands and result are all the same type (which bearing in mind that multiplying 2 16-bit ints will likely overflow, there should be dropdowns for source/destination types).

The FC6A is Exceptional

I'm surprised that the FC6A does not have more discussion topics. It's been out for about a year. I think it will take off when other programmers try it out. I have worked with it for months and I'll take it any day over the Micro1400. There is no consideration to use the Micro830 because it is limited to 20kb.

FC6A and HG4G/3G Panel Positives:

• Plenty of programming logic memory (72kb for online edits or 384kb which limits editing to download only)
  • 54000 16bit registers for integers, double integers (2 registers), floats (2 registers), ascii (2 chacters per register) and over 15000 bit registers. There are also over 1000 timers and other special registers.
  • Both serial and Ethernet printing of ascii strings.(y)
  • Ladder logic flow similar to RSLogix with a Main and sub routines.
  • Array comparisons and moves are easy with the offset and repeat features.
  • Both PLC and HMI programming provides scripting functions.
  • USB, Web server, and mobile phone monitoring.
  • The panel programming provides flexible functions for multi-conditional color and visibility of objects.
  • Software is easy to use and does not require yearly licensing.

FC6A and HG4G/3G Panel Challenges :

• Memory registers are fixed. Organization and allocation of these registers need to be handled in an orderly manner.
  • Register memory types (single int, doubles, floats) cannot be used in the same function. It is necessary to convert one to match the other before the calculation.
  • Printing of the program to PDF only provides an image with no searchable text.
  • Software is not free, but it is not expensive.
The bottom line is that, when a machine can be offered without the mandate of having a ControlLogix or CompactLogix with a PVP, the FC6A with an HG4G/3G will provide similar results.

Last edited:
The FC6 was developed in conjunction with Schneider, with Schneider getting first dibs on production a few years a go as they paid for the bulk of the development, with the FC6 following behind about a year ago.

I am an Idec integrator in the UK and have used the FC6 on a few projects, as well as looking after a few customers who have used it too, especially with large amounts of analogue and associated data conversion. WindLDR is easy to use software, and the FC6 can't be beaten for price.

Despite being around for quite a while Idec is still a little known brand though I think they are trying to change that with their purchase of Apem, a button manufacturer which gives them a larger distribution base, particularly throughout Europe. Their HMIs are ok and I've used a few of them.

FC6A Update

Time has proven to be the best indicator of how well a product works. I am supporting hundreds of these controllers out in the field. The HG3G panels also work well. None have needed to be replaced. Here are more features and benefits that should be known:

• Program updates (including firmware) can be emailed and installed by USB Flash drive or SD card. This works for both the HMI and PLC. This is incredibly powerful for remote support. New off the shelf PLCs and HMIs can also have the programs loaded this way.
  • MODBUS is very easy to setup
  • The battery is an common 2032 type. If the battery dies, the logic remains to automatically load default register values stored in “recipes” when a loss of memory is detected.
  • The WINDLDR (PLC) and WINDIO (HMI) programming is easy to use. The ladder logic format with sub routines is standard. It can be as powerful as a more complex system such as Studio 5000. The HMI design software is better than others. There are some features missing that are in Studio ME, but there are some features it does have that Studio ME does not.

When the Rockwell Micro 800s were introduced, there was not one that could match the FC6A. The recent addition of the Micro 850 was too late to the game.