Process/machine simulation in TIA portal

Pete.S.

Hi guys!

Is it possible to simulate a machine or process in the built-in simulator in TIA portal or is it just a simulator of the PLC where you manually have to toggle bits, set values etc?

What I want is to simulate all real input and outputs of a machine. Not just the PLC hardware but the actual process that's connected to the hardware.

Real PLC program
Code:
if pushbutton=on then set motor_start=on
if motor=running then set motor_start=off (after 60 seconds) 
if motor_start<>motor_running then set motor_alarm=on (after 5 seconds)
Simulator PLC program
Code:
if motor_start=on then set motor_running=on (after 3 second delay)
if motor_start=off then set motor_running=off (after 1 second delay)
motor_start would be an output on the PLC that turns the motor on.
motor_running would be an input on the PLC showing that the motor is running.

Last edited:
I believe the Advanced simulator allows some sequencing and reactions to be programmed... usually that would be another program that you would have to write to perform that functionality.

I believe the Advanced simulator allows some sequencing and reactions to be programmed... usually that would be another program that you would have to write to perform that functionality.

Yes, that is what I'm thinking about - a simulation program.

On other PLCs I have in the past made machine/process simulation by writing to the input area. I don't know if that is possible on Siemens though.
That way you would program the simulation the same way you would program the PLC itself.

I prefer to have buffered inputs myself. Part of the reason is that the code (the entirity of it is portable) and made a difference when it had to run on a 300 or 400's... and another part is that it allows the simulation code to be left behind fairly easily.

You program a bit in a DB that is the master simulation bit, if the master simulation bit is active, then you will not call the function that maps the inputs and instead call the simulation logic that will write to the input DB instead of the mapping function.

Just be sure that you start by putting an instruction to reset that bit in OB1 and comment it out while testing... just in case.

In my company we simulate all feedback from field when testing, or at least necessary ones.
For example, in our FB for some drive we also simulate feedback from drive encoder, if we activate simulation mode on PLC, else FB returns (skips ) simulation part of code.
If something is moving until it reaches some limit switch, and it has encoder as well, we simulate activation of that switch using simulated encoder feedback by writing on input when value from encoder is above or below value which should be coming from encoder at that time.
We simulate process feedback for PID regulators, we simulate opening/closing of the valves, we simulate noise on variables if necessary.

We do this since my company builds huge automation systems, before going for commissioning you need some overview of how sw is working. Of course, commissioning is always problematic, you can't really simulate and predict all the problems.

The built in PLC SIM for 1200/1500 in portal has sim limited sequencing it can do, but no actual logic outside what the PLC has. You can program other logic in your PLC, as others have suggested, either directly to the IO memory, or buffered into a DB.

Siemens does offer a HW solution to simulate a Profinet or Profibus network, called a Simulation Unit. It essentially pretends to be up to a certain number of devices (128, 256, something like that) to your real PLC, and allows for some basic configuration. If you pair it with a tool called SIMIT, then you get even more control, plus a graphical interface.

If you want to pair the Simulation Unit or SIMIT, or some 3rd party IO simulation package with a simulated PLC (or your own PC code), then you need PLC Advanced.

Note that everything above except the standard built in PLCSIM costs $$.

Also, if you're using Technology Objects in a 1500, you can put them in a Simulation mode, where the commands all work, and the axes "move", but it doesn't actually try to communicate to any real world drives.

So I have not tried this, but was told previously that with Siemens controllers you can simulate I/O.

I cant speak to what version s7/TIA, but apparently its possible.

I may actually take a crack at it now for science.

So I have not tried this, but was told previously that with Siemens controllers you can simulate I/O.

I cant speak to what version s7/TIA, but apparently its possible.

I may actually take a crack at it now for science.

For SCIENCE!

Does PLCSim come as a standard now? Also, the fact that it does come as a standard is already miles away from other manufacturers...

For Simatic Manager (step 7 v5), it is an option, or included in Step 7 Professional, which bundles in a few options.

For TIA Portal (step 7 v13/14/15), it is included, whether you get Basic for the 1200 or Pro for all PLCs.

For Simatic Manager (step 7 v5), it is an option, or included in Step 7 Professional, which bundles in a few options.

For TIA Portal (step 7 v13/14/15), it is included, whether you get Basic for the 1200 or Pro for all PLCs.

That is great news... cheers for that info.