Transmitter wiring

GregPLC

I have a quick question about a MTS float style level rod. I am replacing a level transmitter, that was a typical 4 wire transmitter. i.e.

Red +24Vdc
Black -24Vdc
Green 4-20mA Loop +
White 4-20mA Loop -

Those are the wires that I have to work with....My NEW transmitter is a 2 wire transmitter, so I need to power my loop, what is the best way to do this with these 4 wires I have?

Thanks,

Greg

I think...

Greg-
Put +24 VDC on the '+' or supply terminal/wire of your new transmitter. Take the '-' or out terminal/wire from the new transmitter and run it where the old 'Green 4-20mA Loop +' ran to. This should be the positive terminal of your input point. Tie 'Black -24Vdc ' to the negative or common terminal of your input point.
This assumes you are going into the same input point configured the same way as with the original sensor. 4-20mA inputs are implemented in at least a couple of ways. The input construction is a little different depending on whether the input supplys the source power for the sensor (2-wire) or if it passively reads the current from an externally sourced loop (4-wire).

Keith

Hey thanks, that is how I have it wired......but it still isn't working.....I will have to check into it more tomorrow......I see you're in Brillion, Wi...I'm in Milaukee.

Greg

Greg-
One thing you might want to check is if the input is actually sourcing current out of it's + terminal with nothing connected to it. I have never seen a 4-wire 4-20 sensor that is designed to sit in a loop-powered circuit. But you should check it anyway. I would expect to see no voltage at the + terminal with nothing connected.

Keith