EN2T vs ENBT

Careful consideration...

kamenges said:
I'm not sure how they are pricing these things in Ireland, but around here I could buy three L7X/EN2T combinations for the price of one L8X processor. While the performance of the L8 is certainly something to behold, that performance isn't free...

Hi Keith,

I can understand your "are you crazy?" vibe for recommending an L8 for Ethernet communications, and of course I would agree; where one is not designing a new application to the control level that might warrant an L8 controller, it may not make sense to consider using one. Overkill, and all that.

However, where one may be designing a larger or more complex application; when scoping out Ethernet intercommunications options, it may be worth considering the L8 to handle certain aspects, or indeed all of the Ethernet traffic required.

Geospark said:
...Or, indeed, if designing a new system, then the latest 5580 ControlLogix with embedded and enhanced Ethernet port should also be given careful consideration.

In repeating myself, and in how I tend to think, and dispense advice - I am saying that careful consideration should be given where such options, are options. That is, one should consider, carefully, whether it is feasible to use one, or not. I am not suggesting, in any way, that utilizing an L8 controller with embedded Ethernet is a like-for-like option to utilizing a 1756-ENxT module with any other controller. There are indeed many feature differences to be considered.

kamanges said:
...The L8X is WAY more plc than most people need...

As I always say, and will continue to say - these decisions should be application dependant. As such, I do not presume to know what application any one individual is or may be designing, while dispensing the above advice. It's not for me to say that some, most, or many won't want to use an L8 for "their" applications. I also think, with respect, that you should not presume to speak for them either. But that of course is your choice here. I believe it should be up to the designer of each unique application to give due and careful consideration to all and any affordable options.

All that is, of course, not mentioning anything to do with affordability, or price comparison here...

In the interest of shedding some light on what rupej has suggested with regard to Rockwell's pricing strategy when considering an L7 and ENxT module combination verses an L8 with embedded Ethernet -

(EDIT - and you now appear to have realized yourself)

This article from Shawn Tierney over on The Automation Blog, while a few years old now, gives both a good quick synopsis of the comparison here, both in main features and pricing...

Price Comparison: 1756-L8 vs 1756-L7

As we can see (albeit using prices of that day), the comparible L8 alone is less expensive than the L7/ENBT combo.

Looking forward to today's prices, over on the PLC Hardware website, and as an example stateside...

A brand new 1756-L75 is $20,200.00 retail price.

A brand new 1756-EN2T is $2,980.00 retail price.

That makes a combined total of $23,180.00.

A brand new 1756-L85E with embedded Ethernet is $20,300.00 retail price.

That is a saving of $2,880.00 while harnessing state-of-the-art features, if suitable to the application, after careful consideration.

Yes, do indeed take another look. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
George

Also consider this, these latest Compact/ControlLogix processors have Socket TCP communications built in. Since they no longer come with serial ports by default, the Telnet option works effectively for printing. If there is a need for serial printing, an inexpensive device server settles this easily without the need of an ascii card. It's more cost effective and the switch from serial to Ethernet printing requires no programming changes. Plus, multiple printers and network servers can receive the identical output.

DaDaDadeo said:
Also consider this, these latest Compact/ControlLogix processors have Socket TCP communications built in...

Geospark said:
...it may be worth considering the L8 to handle certain aspects, or indeed all of the Ethernet traffic required...

Yes, that is one of the many different features that I was alluding to that may need careful consideration when choosing whether to use a controller/ENxT combo or a new Logix controller with embedded Ethernet. For ControlLogix, the combo option is no longer a must where socket connections may be required.

Socket connections are natively supported on all of the newer Logix controllers with embedded Ethernet, including the CompactLogix 5370 and 5380, and the ControlLogix 5580, with each supporting up to 32 socket connections. For the ControlLogix 5580, along with the embedded 32 socket connections, the controller also supports 32 socket connections per 1756-ENxT module in the local chassis.

The much older 1756-EWEB Enhanced Web Server modules were also widely implemented for socket communications but these only support up to 20 socket connections. I would also advise users to no longer consider the "Active Mature" status 1756-EWEB modules for new or retrofit applications where socket connections may be required.

Incidentally, the CompactLogix 1768-EWEB Enhanced Web Server modules are also quite old now. These, of course, are used with the dual backplane CompactLogix 1769-L4x controllers. They are currently "End of Life" status with a discontinuation date of January 2020.

Another consideration here, possibly at the simplest level, is where there is no requirement for the local Ethernet architecture to bridge beyond a local or isolated machine or process, but yet a local Ethernet HMI or two is desirable, or indeed larger local EtherNet/IP network. A local Ethernet bridge module may not be required as local EtherNet/IP devices may now be connected directly to the embedded Ethernet port, or via a local Ethernet switch appliance and so saving on the purchase of the additional bridge module.

On the flip side, while designing larger or more complex Ethernet architectures, the new Gigabyte Ethernet embedded Logix controllers boast such a considerable networking increase in capacity, capability, and performance over their 1756-ENxT bridge module counterparts that the balance "should" tip squarely in the newer controllers' favour.

(I'll qualify that "should" in a minute)

However, there are certain factors or limitations that one also needs to consider, carefully, that the 5380 and 5580 introduce. Studio 5000 v28 introduced support for the Logix 80 architecture. One important factor here for controller firmware revision 28 is related to the Produce/Consume model - All consumers of a revision 28 Producer must be set to the same Request Packet Interval (RPI) as the first Consumer that establishes a connection with the Producer i.e. they must all be configured to the same RPI or they may fail to connect. If adding or upgrading to an 80 architecture controller in an existing architecture of pre 80 architecture controllers, such as say L6 or L7, and say the new controller is an L8 which must Produce tag data onto the network for multiple older Consumers; the older projects must all now be configured to the same RPI while adding the L8 controller and it's Consumable tags.

(Back to the "should")

An important limitation to be aware of when considering an embedded Ethernet ControlLogix 5580 controller is the fact that they cannot be placed in a chassis to act as an Ethernet I/O bridge module between local controllers and remote. That is, you cannot communicate Produce/Consume or I/O data between the local backplane, through say an L8 controller and its Ethernet port, and a wider network. Attempting to configure such a route will error out the connection.

Rockwell Automation said:
Using a 5069-L3x0ER(M) or 1756-L8xE type controller as an Ethernet bridge for class 0 and class 1 type connections is not supported. Common examples of this type of communication are safety produce consume connections (class 0), standard produce consume connections (class 1), safety I/O connections (class 0) and standard I/O connections (class 1).

They may still be used as a bridge connection for Class 3 communications such as messaging (MSG) or RSLinx Classic browsing from a workstation.

Note: The Class 0/1 bridge connection error only applies to pre v28 projects. As one cannot add an L8 controller to a pre v28 project I/O Configuration, a 1756-ENxT may be used instead. As the ENxT module is expandable and configurable one may add bridge targeted devices. By allowing this configuration the project will not realize the device is actually an embedded controller port and will attempt the illegal bridge connection and error out. For v28 projects and above, when adding an actual L8 controller into the I/O Configuration, the controller instance will not be expandable, or configurable, and so a bridge connection cannot be completed.

Where Class 0/1 Ethernet bridge connections are required for a ControlLogix application, then local 1756-ENxT bridge modules must be used.

Careful consideration, indeed.

Regards,
George

Last edited: