Compactlogix 1769 local i/o expansion-12 i/o slots

akash11132

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I am currently working on a migration project (form micrologix 1500 to compactlogix L30 ER Controller). I successfully migrated all I/Os to the new compactlogix system. But there is a glitch. I was not able to accommodate all I/O modules as local modules. Totally, there are 12 I/O modules.

I had to use an Ethernet adapter(1769 AENTR- Ethernet Bridge) in the studio 5000 environment and add extra I/O modules as Remote IOs. Is there any way around to include Remote IOs in Local slots without using the Ethernet Adapter since we didn't purchase the Ethernet adapter. But we have separate power supply modules(2A/0.8 PA).Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Akash

The 1769-L30ER controller supports a maximum of 8 local I/O modules. If your migration project includes 12 x 1769 I/O modules then the answer would be no, you cannot add any further modules to the local chassis for this particular controller. You can either upgrade the controller to a 1769-L33ER minimum, which supports up to 16 local I/O modules, or you must create a distributed I/O chassis using a suitable communications adapter, such as the 1769-AENTR Ethernet module, that you unfortunately do not have.

Regards,
George

The L30ER, as you've just found, supports a maximum of 8 modules. The 1769-L33ER supports up to 16, across two banks of modules, while the 1769-L36ER supports 30 modules and 3 banks.

If you haven't yet bought the CPU, you might consider buying an L33ER instead of an L30ER. Depending on your module arrangement, you may not even need a second module bank (i.e. may not need your second PS). If you have to stick with the L30ER, you have no option but to use a remote I/O adaptor.

More information here, see particularly page 14.

edit: by the skin of your teeth, George!

Hehe, well you "were" here first and out of courtesy I was waiting for you to reply but then you apparently left? So off I went typing. You must have been copying me, again!?!

p.s. I "think" from memory that the maximum number of modules in bank 0 with the processor is 11? If so, then unfortunately 12 modules would still require that second power supply.

EDIT: Found this...

Number of local expansion modules, max - AB

Last edited:
Ah, my phone rang and distracted me.

You're right about needing the second bank - I'd forgotten to count the processor. And of course it's dependent on which modules you put where, as to whether you can get that full 11 modules on bank 0 regardless. But in any case, yes, the OP will need two banks after all, regardless of module type and position.

Yes, the max. of 11 modules for bank 0 would typically only be achievable using standard digital I/O modules i.e. not speciality. This is obviously(?) because their current consumption is the least and so cumulatively the power supply would not be overloaded.

These limitations are good practice guidelines and validating these bank configurations is of course important in ensuring good operational performance. But, there is nothing to physically stop someone adding say 12 digital I/O modules to bank 0. Many invalid configurations are likely working away out there but perhaps give "some" trouble now and again, or perhaps not? It depends on the mix of modules and whether Murphy's Law is on your side, or not!

G.

Yes - in addition, you can put digital input modules further away from the PS than you can digital output modules. But that makes my OCD hurt, because the order should ALWAYS be DI-DO-AI-AO!

ASF said:
..the order should ALWAYS be DI-DO-AI-AO!
OCD! - I'm currently working on a version 31 Logix project for a 1769-L33ER with 2 DI & 1 DO. Slot 1 & 2 are the DI, Slot 3 is a 1769-ARM and Slot 4 is the DIO. It's more likely we will add DI in the future so that's the reason for the Address Reserve Module - all the ducks lined up in a row. The thoughts of a DI¦DI¦DO¦DI configuration - "achewww". What really annoys me is that the ARM module does not go in the I/O Configuration, so when you look at it you wonder "Where is Slot [3]?".

First look at version 31 (just installed Friday) and it's, well, "different". All Blue and wonderful looking. We "Build" the project now instead of "Verify". Security menu added at top for Source Protection...

Oh wait, this thread is about 1769 I/O bank configurations. I had better not derail it by going on about new unrelated software, unless the OP is using v31 for this project too?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot ASF and Geospark for the information. Since we already purchased the CPU(1769 l30er), there is no other way than buying the Ethernet adapter(AENTR) now.

What really annoys me is that the ARM module does not go in the I/O Configuration, so when you look at it you wonder "Where is Slot [3]?".

Allow me to assuage your OCD by suggesting that you simply configure a generic I/O module in slot 3, and then inhibit the connection to it 🍻

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 9.30.25 am.png

Last edited:
ASF said:
Allow me to assuage your OCD by suggesting that you simply configure a generic I/O module in slot 3, and then inhibit the connection to it

I know I can add a module and inhibit it. That's the normal setup with the ARM module but then I would have to look at a module inhibited, in a new project! That would be even worse to look at! :oops:

I know I can add a module and inhibit it. That's the normal setup with the ARM module but then I would have to look at a module inhibited, in a new project! That would be even worse to look at! :oops:

I think our OCD's would get along quite well. We must have a pint if you're ever in Australia :ROFLMAO: