MSG instruction from CompactLogix to CompactLogix

jdbjdb

I am having trouble getting a MSG instruction to work. My PLC is a 1769-L24ER. The other PLC is a 1768-L43 with a 1768-EWEB/A comms module. I cannot alter the code or get online with the L43. I know the L43 has a DINT called OutputData and this is what I want to read. I have access to an offline copy of the L43 program.

First I set-up the L43 in the I/O tree of my L24ER. I right clicked on Ethernet and selected New Module. I browsed for the 1768-EWEB and added it to the I/O tree. I expected to see a new backplane appear below the newly added EWEB (where I could add the L43 to the I/O tree) but this did not happen. All seemed good when I downloaded and went online (no yellow triangles on the I/O tree). I also opened RSLinx and checked that I could see the L43, EWEB and my L24ER. I added a tag called InputData of type DINT to my program.

I then added the MSG instruction to my code.
I set the following:
Configuration tab
Message Type - CIP Data Table Read
Source Element - OutputData
Number of Elements - 1
Destination Element - InputData
Communication Path - I browsed and selected the EWEB from the I/O tree.

I went online and with the MSG instruction open I have an Error Path and Error Text (this says I/O syntax if I remember correctly).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.