schneider hmi

Magelis HMI OS = Vijeo Designer Runtime

kuldeepsharma said:
I have schneider hmi ( hmistu655). My question is that how to update the os of the hmi. There is a password in the hmi.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Which method of download are you using?

The "os" for the Magelis HMISTU655 is known as "Vijeo Designer Runtime". "Vijeo Designer" editor creates the Projects that you download to the HMI, and Vijeo Designer Runtime runs the Projects on the HMI. Vijeo Designer editor also contains the Runtime files. When you download a Project to the HMI, Vijeo Designer checks the Runtime version currently on the HMI and if not compatible, it automatically downloads the correct version of Runtime files to make the Project and Runtime environment compatible.

If you install an updated version of Vijeo Designer editor and open a Project from the previous version, it prompts you to convert the Project to the newer version. If you then download the converted Project to a HMI that has the Runtime files from the previous version, it again automatically updates the Runtime files during the download to the newer version.

In other words, usually there should be no reason to have to "update" just the "os" on an existing HMI. Normally you just download your Project and the Runtime files will update automatically if necessary.

Having said that, there is a separate "Runtime Installer" program available under "Schneider Electric/Vijeo Designer/Tools". This will allow you to update only the Runtime files on the HMI. Usually this might be done when someone wants to initialize a new HMI, or when trying to recover a faulted/corrupted HMI.

Note: Updating the Runtime files will erase the project from the HMI.

I'm curious as to why you are attempting to "update" the "os"?
Are you trying to do so in an attempt to erase the password protected Project?

Now the password problem...

Have you got a copy of the current Project that's running on the HMI?

Who ever created the current Project has enabled "Target Security" under "Environment","Security". Once enabled, they created at least one "Security Group" and one "User" within that group, and gave that user "Download Security Allowed" privileges. They then did one OR two things...

a) Only set "Download Security" = "Use Security"

b) Also set "USB Media Install" = "Use Security"

If only a) was set, then when downloading from within Vijeo Designer while connected to either mini-USB or Ethernet port on the HMI, you will get a password prompt in Vijeo Designer.

Because b) was not set, this will allow you to download your project to a USB key instead and insert and download from the key without password prompt. This method will overwrite the password protected Project.

However, if b) was also set, then when downloading to USB key and then inserting key in HMI, you will get a password prompt.

So, back to the opening question...

If you have only been trying from within Vijeo Designer via cable, then try the USB key method and pray šŸ¤žšŸ» they didn't enable security for USB Media Install. To download to the USB key, select "File System" as the "Download" option in the "General" properties section for the Target. Under "Path" browse to your USB Media and then proceed to download.

!Important!
Make sure the USB key is formatted for FAT32!​

If FAT16, Vijeo Designer will still download to it without warning and when you insert into HMI and click OK...šŸ”Ø

I retired a HMISTU855 doing that. šŸ™ƒ

I contacted Schneider over that issue and it later prompted them to add a warning message that the inserted USB Media is formatted FAT16 and should be FAT32. Funny thing is, they still let you cancel the message and click OK!

Go figure...:rolleyes:

G.

hello. i'm first using this HMI STU655.
when i'm downloading the project to HMI, the dialogbox says "The hardware platform you are downloading to doesn't match the defined target type or acces is denied".
i've allready install the vijeo runtime 6. 1.
what should I do?

hello. i'm first using this HMI STU655.
when i'm downloading the project to HMI, the dialogbox says "The hardware platform you are downloading to doesn't match the defined target type or acces is denied".
i've allready install the vijeo runtime 6. 1.
what should I do?

Hi! Try to check if the hardware that you have in hands is HMIS5T (back) and HMIS65 (screen). ThereĀ“s a label with this in each part.

If itĀ“s true, you have to change in your project the selected hardware to HMIS5T and then download.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

a) Only set "Download Security" = "Use Security"

b) Also set "USB Media Install" = "Use Security"

G.
Hello.
Please help me. I use HMIS5T (back) and HMIS85 (screen). What can be done if a protection of type "b" has been used and the password was lost?