PLC5 Spares Support

KerryP

I just figured out that we do not have a spare PLC5 CPU in house to support the four processors on our plant floor. I gathered the following by going online.

#1 – PLC5/20 E-2000 Rev. D 16,384 words of memory
#2 – PLC5/40 E-2000 Rev. B 49,152 words of memory
#3 – PLC5/60 E-2000 Rev. D 65,535 words of memory
#4 – PLC5/80 E-2000 Rev. F 102,400 words of memory

I look at this list and I think that we ought to buy a 5/80 and that it should be able to support the others. For example, if my PLC5/20 dies, I should be able to pop in the 5/80, adjust the processor in the RSLogix program from 5/20 to 5/80, and be good to go.

Would this work?

At this point in time, the list prices have been increasing.

You might want to check the price, and do a risk assessment.

Definitely have a supportability plan and upgrade plan.

Thanks, Micky, but I rarely base important technical evaluations on the advice of a cartoon mouse. However, thanks for voting yes. I can't find anything in the literature that would indicate otherwise.

Sooner rather than later you have to migrate the PLC5's to something newer.
How about upgrade the PLC5/80E first.
Then you have the PLC5/80E as a spare for the other PLCs.

Thanks, Micky, but I rarely base important technical evaluations on the advice of a cartoon mouse. However, thanks for voting yes. I can't find anything in the literature that would indicate otherwise.

If you uncheck the "show avatars" option in your forum profile, then you have no worries of taking advice from a cartoon mouse, or any other character may give you the creeps.

Just sayin'..

Thanks JesperMP. We own a replacement L72 and plan to change out the 5/80 for an RIO adapter in the next few months. It is the interim that is very risky and may be worth the purchase price of a spare CPU.

BTW - I can buy a 5/80 in the states for around $7,000 US.

You could a least spell my name right. ( more free advice)👨🏻‍🏫

I am shopping the used/refurbished market and more specifically, companies I trust due to previous purchases. This is not an Ethernet, ControNet or Protected controller. It is a 1785-L80B enchanced. List price this morning was $6,853. Another vendor with presence in England and New Jersey is listing these for $3,350.