Communicating and moving data from S5 to S7 PLC

I am guessing that the data transfer between the PLCs is with Send/Receive blocks.
Sending data with send/receive requires that you configure exactly what data is to be transferred. You cant access just any data in the partner PLC.
So the same goes for the SCADA if it is connected to the S7 PLCs and not directly to the S5 PLCs.

edit: So to answer your question post #28, then you would have to make some program change in both the S5 and the S7 PLCs.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

A couple of years ago I had to do just what you desicribe.
I did it with a S7-300 with a CP343 card and a S5 with a CP1430TCP.

It is not really straight forward coding as it involve changes in the code of both PLCs. The S5 part is a bit tricky as I had to use COM1430.

Siemens has the following examples to help with that:
ISO communication
TCP communication

However, I came across a solution recently that is an embeded OPC-UA server that can draw data from S5.
I believe that in your case where you need only visualisation, this is a more attractive solution.
I have used IBHsoftec products in the past but not this one:
IBHsoftec OPC-UA server

I hope that you will use this and then come back and give some feedback ;). It looks very interesting.

I've been thinking about this and have a question if someone could answer it please?

If I were to change the S5 programs so it sends and receives data that is compatible with the S7-300, will I not disturb the communication between the 3 S5 PLC's that are speaking to each other?

Or will the communications be set up differently for the SCADA as from the PLC communications between them?

Here's a pic of one part of one OB1:

Last edited:
It should be possible to create additional send/receive blocks in the S5 program, and then you would have these send/receive blocks work in parallel with the existing blocks.
I dont know if you have to setup connections in the CP143 card itself, with the aid of COM143. I would guess that it is necessary.

Look inside the COMMS and SRALL blocks to get a hint of how it is done.

Notice that with send/receive, there has to be a partner that is setup to respond. For a send block there must be a receive block in the partner.
Not sure if your SCADA is up for it. Does your SCADA use Simatic Net ?

Thinking again, I think that the easiest fix is to use the S7 PLCs as a go-between for the data from the S5 PLCs. Just as you have suggested yourself.
It is a bit of a cludge, but will require the least effort, and no need to purchase new stuff.

Not sure about COM143, but maybe you just have to expand the amount of data being sent already, so maybe you dont have to reconfigure the CP143 card with COM143.