New guy here, question about 1756-L72 and studio 5000

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hows it going everyone. Who's ready to rub their heads and groan at the new guy? Everyone? Ok good :)

I've got a 1756-L72 Revision 19.013 with a program already running on it.

I've got all versions of Studio 5000 installed, but have not installed any RSLogix 5000 versions to VMWare yet.

I've read the manual, and a few forum posts, and from what I can tell, I should be able to go online with the controller with any version of Studio 5000. I have a copy of the program that is running right now, but I do not want to open it with any version of Studio 5000 until I'm sure that no unintended changes will be made to the program.

My questions are:

1. If I start a new project in version 24 of Studio 5000, and attempt to go online with the Revision 19.013 controller, what should I expect to happen. Will the ladder logic be loaded that is currently running if I don't load the project file first?

2. I'm expecting that the only way that the firmware would change in the controller is by using ControlFLASH.

3. If I load the project file into Studio 5000 version 20 or higher, what changes would be made to the file?

Thanks Everyone :)

You need that firmware version. You can load multiple versions on your laptop. At work I have 17,18,19,20 and about to put 21 on.

1. Firmware mismatch and an option to update firmware.

2. Correct

3. No change to logic but version 20 uses different protocol. I had problem sending information to an OPC Server after upgrading from v18 to v20. We had to get latest version for OPC.

You need that firmware version. You can load multiple versions on your laptop. At work I have 17,18,19,20 and about to put 21 on.

To expand on what he just said...you HAVE to have the same firmware as the controller. Period.

Just b/c you have V24 (and it is obviously newer than V19) means nothing. You have to have V19 installed on your laptop in order to go online with a processor that is running V19. If you want to change revisions in the processor, yes, you would use ControlFlash. I do not recommend going through this headache unless you have a good reason.

Install V19 on your laptop and you should be able to go online with the processor. If you UPLOAD, you won't be making any changes to the existing program in the processor.

Does any of that work for you on Windows 7

Yes, I use Windows 7 both 32 Bit & 64 Bit with all versions of RS/Studio5000 installed because I come across everything in the field.

The only problem I ever had was using the USB license dongle with a new Windows 8.1 64 Bit laptop until Rockwell Tech Supp got online remotely & installed a new driver & made some changes, after that no problems with Win 8.1 either.