AC/DC Digital Input Card Help

macese

Hi guys,
I'm doing the electrical drawings for a Honeywell Digital Input Card and the card accepts AC and DC inputs. This is new to me and I don't really understand how to interpret the pin layout. I attached a picture of the layout from the manual but my question is 1) how does AC input work? what connections would go to In1+ and In1-? And 2) if I have a DC input, would I just use In1+ and leave In1- empty, then go to In2+ for the next input?

Any help is appreciated as this is new to me.

Thanks!

Pin Layout.jpg

from Manual " The AC/DC Input Module provides sixteen individually isolated, inputs that are powered externally. Two terminals are provided for each circuit. AC or DC power
applied between the input terminals cause the inputs to turn On. "

It means it is a sinking Digital input module. you will need an external power supply (AC or DC). connection will be like this :

Power supply (AC or DC +) ------- field switch (LS, TS, PS ....) to be detected ------IN+
then IN- --------- Power supply (AC or DC-)

So for example...

Pressure Switch with a 120 VAC output high when pressure exceeds xx PSI

Pressure Switch Output --------------- IN 1+

120 VAC Power Supply ---------------- IN 1-

And Limit Switch with a 100 VDC output high when depressed

Limit Switch Output ------------------- IN 2+

100 VDC Power Supply ---------------- IN 2-

Is this correct?

Edit: would the power supply to IN 1- be the same power supply as the power to the Pressure Switch or would it be from a different source?

The DC specification is a bit ridiculous to me. Who uses 100 VDC? Just treat it as a 120 VAC input module.
Wire all " - "terminals to Neutral. AC hot signals to " + " terminals.
See page 18 of this manual.

Thanks for the help everyone, I understand this better now. And yes I know 100 VDC is a bit ridiculous, was really just using it for an example.

Sorry, didn't notice you used 100 VDC in your example.
My comment was directed at Honeywell marketing. It's just an AC Input module, and they like to show all the other useless things it can do to make it sound fancier than it is.
An AC input will typically have a dual LED optoisolator. Either LED will trigger the input. All of them will work fine on DC as well, but the voltages must be high.

They should limit descriptions to what is typical in the PLC market to avoid confusion. We are technically minded people, and get insulted by hype.
DC means 24 VDC.
AC means 120VAC in the US, 100VAC in Japan, and 200-220VAC everywhere else in the world. 50-60 Hertz.
Did I miss any?

My comment was directed at Honeywell marketing. It's just an AC Input module, and they like to show all the other useless things it can do to make it sound fancier than it is.
<snip>
DC means 24 VDC.
AC means 120VAC in the US, 100VAC in Japan, and 200-220VAC everywhere else in the world. 50-60 Hertz.
Did I miss any?
Nope. Hear, Hear.