HMI/PLC Compatibility

Matthew_Gilly

Hi Gents,

I've been asked to install a remote IO panel with a HMI onto an existing plant on a site. I know the remote IO will be fine to integrate, but I have been told that the project only ever allowed for a PV800 HMI. The question I have is will this HMI work on the plant PLC? See details below:

HMI - 2711RT4T
PLC - 1769-L32E (CompactLogix5332E)
Revision - 20.12

The documentation I have found is not clear cut if it will work with this range of controllers and from what I can find in CCW, you can only select a L1 controller as a CompactLogix device.

Any help would be appreciated if you've dealt with this before.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 8.36.39 am.png

PanelView 800 was designed, tested, promoted, marketed, and sold to work only with MicroLogix and Micro 800 controllers.

But of course, because it had an A-B label on it and was lower priced, users immediately wanted to use it with CompactLogix.

Rockwell relented, a little: they made it compatible with the POINT-IO based 1769-L16, -L18, and -L19 controllers. Then later (after v4.10 firmware) they added support for some of the smaller members of the "5370" family CompactLogix controllers.

The 1769-L32E is a generation older than those controllers, and is not supported by the PanelView 800.

It might be possible to connect the PanelView 800 to the CompactLogix serial port and allow it to emulate SLC-500 data tables, an in my opinion it's not worth the cost of the effort (unless you're stranded somewhere and your food and HMI come out of the same budget).