Instrument Earthing

Mehdi

How many earth we have in a plant? What is a clean earth in comparison with dirty one? Should we use a separate earth for IS signals?

Cheers,
Mehdi

Two. power earth & instrument earth.

Yes , u should use seperate earth for instrument signals.
Remember to earth only one end of the shield.

Thankx RB,

1. Is there any special reason not to ground cables at both side?
2. Should I use a separate earth for Intrinsic Safe instrument rather than normal instruments.
3. Should we connect power earth and instrument earth somewhere?

Mehdi said:
Thankx RB,

1. Is there any special reason not to ground cables at both side?
2. Should I use a separate earth for Intrinsic Safe instrument rather than normal instruments.
3. Should we connect power earth and instrument earth somewhere?

1. If you ground the shield at both ends, it can and will conduct current. Even though the potential is low, large amounts of current can flow. With current flowing in the shield, you have magnetic fields inside the shield affecting the signal on the wires. By grounding the shield on one end or one place you set up a proper shield to capture EMI and RFI and ground it.

2. YES!!!

3. Your instrument earth is a gathering point for all instrument shields and instrument earth connections. You can take ONE large cable and connect the INSTRUMENT EARTH BUS to earth ground.

Leadfoot said:
1. If you ground the shield at both ends, it can and will conduct current. Even though the potential is low, large amounts of current can flow. With current flowing in the shield, you have magnetic fields inside the shield affecting the signal on the wires. By grounding the shield on one end or one place you set up a proper shield to capture EMI and RFI and ground it.

2. YES!!!

3. Your instrument earth is a gathering point for all instrument shields and instrument earth connections. You can take ONE large cable and connect the INSTRUMENT EARTH BUS to earth ground.

Is there any special regulation / standard to use separate earth for IS signals from non-IS instrument?

I do not know of any rule or regulation but every intrinsic panel I have seen had a seperate shield ground for signals in the intrinsic panel.

Intrinsic panels are to help prevent sparks in possible gaseous areas. Would you want an non-intrinsic signal wire there?

Depending on the type of I.S. barriers used, the I.S. grounding can be critical.
If you are using the zenner type, then the ground resistance must be less than 10 ohms, but I prefer keeping it 5 ohms or less.

Generally it is broken down into two categories Ground Bus "PE" (Safety Ground), and Signal Bus "TE" (Signal Ground to insure equal zero voltage level for each system element).

Leadfoot said:
I do not know of any rule or regulation but every intrinsic panel I have seen had a seperate shield ground for signals in the intrinsic panel.

Intrinsic panels are to help prevent sparks in possible gaseous areas. Would you want an non-intrinsic signal wire there?

but we have IS and non-IS signals together in one panel. i think we can ground them to a unique earth of < 5ohm without any problem.

I thought that I'd read somewhere that it was =< 1 ohm?
Maybe this is a UK thing?

I don't know what the regulations are, but under normal circumstances you'll be hard put to get an Earth that stays reliably under 1 ohm. 2 - 3 Ohms was usually about the best we could manage, without resorting to exotic methods.