WonderWare Locally

ControlJoe

I’m completely new to Wonderware and have an AB background. Started at a plant that has ArchestrA IDE running about 30 networked HMIs. The problem is that the network is continually going down and operations is halted. My first question is can I move/deploy and HMI from the server to a local PC? My second question is do I have to buy a license to run the HMI software locally (I’m assuming WindowViewer)? My goal is to get the HMI software off the ArchestrA IDE server as quickly as possible without having to reprogram every HMI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThinManager

Just found that we are using ThinManager to manage all of the HMI clients. I initially thought this was a Wonderware product, finding out that it is not related. I do believe this may be part of the problem.

I think you need to evaluate your situation a bit further before you make drastic moves like getting the HMI off of the IDE server. You are taking a step backward by getting away from Thin Manager and the IDE system.

Licensing and all of that will be required and is costly. I imagine some integrator did the plant if you have 30 HMIs a server and Thin Manager. I would figure out who they are and get them back in your facility to evaluate the situation. Certianly bring in some experts before you change the entire architecure. Licensing for that many HMI's and Thin Manager isn't cheap, you'd be throwing away a lot of money, and you'd better be absolutely positive your solution will fix the issue!!

There are alot of things that come into play here, and since you are new to Wonderware and such I'd tread very lightly.

It really seems you should set up a more "Isolated" and "hardened" network structure.

A. Isolated means that the server has its own network for the thin clients, not the whole company on the same network.
You ideally want a network for industrial applications and thin clients and a different network for company files and email.

B. Hardened means your thin client network should be near fail proof as far as wiring and isolation of network cables.
Premium network gear (switches and patch panels) and NO hubs, Enet cables with premium connectors on each end, and cable wiring distances that are not even near 300' limit (above 200' I use fiber).
I would recommend a "managed" switch for a thin client network. Lots more monitoring capabilities.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies...
Paully's5.0: I agree I should tread lightly in this situation. With all of the features of the current system, I'm not sure that making local clients is the way to go. I would like to see the current system work, but I need to come up with possible solutions to the current situation of continual connection loss.
NetNathan: Good suggestions on network design. I know the network has a separate VLAN, but I know with the site network (e-mail, etc.) goes down, so do all the HMIs. I will have to contact IT to find out if the switches are managed or not. Power bumps seem to be causing most of the problems.
Oakley: I will contact our WW rep and find out what all has been installed here. Another issue with WW is the annual licensing fees and we would like to avoid these if possible.