Examples of Good and Bad HMI Screens

mtoecker

Hi Folks,

I'm giving a presentation on integrating cyber security information into the Operator HMI, and would like to show some examples of good and bad HMI screen design as icebreakers.

If you have any examples of good or bad HMI display design, send along. If selected for the presentation you:
1. Will get credit in the presentation for providing
2. I will owe you one (1) frosty beverage or your choice if we shall ever meet, up to a cost of $7.🍻

Thanks!
Mike

Heres mine!
attachment.php

Good use of color, bad use of scaling.
Or vice versa?
🍻

You might want to look into a term currently called "the dark path". It pertains to GUI either intentionally or accidentally designed to obfuscate the real intention.
Classic examples of this technique are the tiny OPT-OUT checkboxes of Java downloads (usually the ASK toolbar) and the additional mailing list checkboxes of whitepaper downloads.
While those are intentional implementations, accidental ones might fit into the presentation you are creating. The above post with the graphic being a humorous example of such a design. i.e "Don't shut down" label with YES on the button.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19776_6-disasters-caused-by-poorly-designed-user-interfaces.html

example 1.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to look into a term currently called "the dark path". It pertains to GUI either intentionally or accidentally designed to obfuscate the real intention.
Classic examples of this technique are the tiny OPT-OUT checkboxes of Java downloads (usually the ASK toolbar) and the additional mailing list checkboxes of whitepaper downloads.
While those are intentional implementations, accidental ones might fit into the presentation you are creating. The above post with the graphic being a humorous example of such a design. i.e "Don't shut down" label with YES on the button.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19776_6-disasters-caused-by-poorly-designed-user-interfaces.html

Great Read! Especially like this:

Some months earlier, the ****pit instrumentation in this type of plane was updated to give them a slicker-looking digital design, presumably because someone at Boeing finally got around to watching Back to the Future and thought the inside of the DeLorean looked cool.

Funny you should say that... After his fighter jock career my brother worked for Rockwell/MacDonald-Douglas/Boeing as one of the team called Pilot/Vehicle Interface Design for 20 years.
He has admitted on many occasions that that particular quote is not very far from the truth.

I like to follow one basic rule of thumb:

The ideal machine will have one large button for Start and one large button for Stop. Each additional item is another step toward increased complexity.