TOFR - non-retentive timer

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a question about the TOFR instruction, a non-retentive timer that accumulates when the input bit goes low.

For me this is in Rockwell's Studio 5000 v26.

The documentation shows that the .dn bit goes low when the timer is done. This is opposite of what happens with the TONR instruction. Is this accurate? I thought .DN was supposed to indicate when the timer was done. So shouldn't it go high?

2015-06-26 11_02_40-Logix Designer Online Help.png

"TOF" means Timer Off Delay, so it works sort of opposite or the inverse of the TON (Timer On Delay). TOF means DN will be ON when the timer receives a true rung condition, and only time and the DN go OFF when the rung goes from true to false.

I think the "R" at the end of both instructions means Retentive (the timer will hold its time ACCumulator value until reset). Are you sure that TOFR is a non-retentive timer?

The TOFR is a non retentive timer for FBD and structured text only.
In ladder it is the same as a TOF plus a RES.

The time interval is from the EN going low to the DN going low.

Thank you for the quick replies.

I'll stick with TONR and 'not' statements as .DN being true when not done and false when done hurts my head.

I think it helps to think of the DN bit following the state of the input condition, just delayed. For example, using a TON with one rung condition - imagine an XIC contact - the DN bit is unconditionally false when the rung is false*. When the rung goes true, some time later the DN bit will go true. With a TOF when the rung is true the DN bit is unconditionally true*. When the rung goes false, some time later the DN bit goes false.

Given that, the TOF is a strange critter to get your head around.

YMMV

* assuming the rung is being scanned