PLC selection not sure where to start

jay1471

I was at Birmingham for some times last year, they built a brand new plant for a car assembly line.

Ive got an assignment question i need help on but not sure what exactly im looking for. I understand the selection criteria for a PLC, and how they work. I have managed to find the question online (link below) question 3. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and no i dont need you to do it all for me. But if you want to i wont refuse :rolleyes:

http://wiki.computing.hct.ac.uk/_media/engineering/units/u25_plc/assignment_-_selection_of_plcs.pdf
🍻

What are you struggling with specifically ?

If you have a look around the forum you will see that people won't jump to help you unless they see you have made an effort and offer a little bit of background.

Here is a place to start for you. Looking at the picture (a picture is worth 1000 words), your PLC would need to include the following Inputs and Outputs.

1. An encoder input for the Carriage Drive Motor Position for the cutting cart that is mounted on tracks with a toothed tracking wheel, because "The cutter cuts the length in a controlled manner...".

2. Digital inputs for the following:
System Start N.O. Pushbutton,
System Stop N.C. Pushbutton,
Bar End Stop Limit Switch,
Torch Flame Detector Input,

and 2 limit switch Inputs for each of the following because "they are fitted with position sensors to signal their movements":
Carriage Cutter Transverse Cylinder Out and In limit switches,
Bar Pusher Cylinder Out and In limit switches,
Bar Clamp Cylinder Up and Down Limit Switches,
Bar Ejector Rotary Actuator Travel limit switches.

3. Digital Outputs for the following because "All the actuators are hydraulic and controlled by electric solenoid valves,":
Green System Run Indicator Light,
Torch Flame Igniter Output
Carriage Traverse Cylinder Out and In Solenoid Outputs,
Carriage Drive Motor Forward and Reverse Solenoid Outputs,
Bar Pusher Cylinder Out and In Solenoid Outputs,
Bar Clamp Cylinder Up and Down Solenoid Outputs,
Bar Ejector Rotary Actuator Out and In Solenoid Outputs.

Now find a mid-range modular PLC that has module slots and I/O modules for the above Inputs and Outputs.

You could also add something about standard parts and knowledge.

If this would be in a factory running Siemens model x in 20 other machines. You would be inclined to choose a Siemens PLC for your new machine as well. Even if model y from Siemens might be cheaper, it could be cheaper in the long run to go for model x because of spare parts and or system knowledge.

Just my 2 cents.