Recommended 2nd Tier PLC Platforms

Also take a look at the Unitronics Vision and UniStream Series.
They are HMI's with an integrated PLC, very affortable.
I made once a project with them and was surprised of the good programming software.

I second this suggestion, good PLC, built in HMI, free software, several online tutorials and good online support.

Ironic, arrived just a short time ago in the inbox.

Just sayin

View attachment 47875

Be careful with Idec as they left my companies electronics platform high and dry when they moved to the fc6 (stopped support for an asi master and provided no upgrade path).

So I do like Idec for the good price, very easy to use PLC programming, and decent documentation. This is good for small simple machines. They are also heavy into the Hazloc crowd.

Just be warned if you are an OEM and need product support for more than 5 years you may want to look elsewhere.

HMI
Automation Direct - BRX and Productivity series both have great communication capabilities.
I would look at the C-More Micro for a small touch or function key.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/HMI_(Human_Machine_Interface)/C-more_Micro_Panels
Free software and fully functional micro c-more panels.

C-More for larger displays.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/HMI_(Human_Machine_Interface)/C-more_Touch_Panels

AdvancedHMI
I would look to AdvancedHMI for communication to a database. It is written in VB.Net and runs on the visual studio.
This is a free download.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/
Here is a post with AdvancedHMI communicating Modbus TCP to the BRX PLC.
http://accautomation.ca/brx-plc-advancedhmi-communication-modbus-tcp/
YouTube Video:
https://youtu.be/1TjsdLwTKM0

Regards,

Also take a look at the Unitronics Vision and UniStream Series.
They are HMI's with an integrated PLC, very affortable.
I made once a project with them and was surprised of the good programming software.

I would look at Horner if this is the direction you want to look at. I've found their software (free) to be better and the tech support far superior to Unitronics. The communications is much easier, IMO.

If you are leaning towards separate PLC/HMI, I agree with the Automation Direct Productivity series. Very good.

Interesting thread. I think I have used everything mentioned here and I am not a huge fan of any of them. My major issue is software and how easy it is to program. I use Omron CJ2 series with Ethernet IP I/O wherever I can these days. I use CX-Programmer and that has to be the absolute fastest programming software I have ever used. Buy CX-One and basically free updates on the web for life - not many offer that. Make or lose a lot of money writing and commissioning software. Hardware reliability is also hugely important - no good buying something cheap and have to fly a couple of thousand ks to replace something that has failed. Omron way in front also. A few other things to consider from a business owners point - does the supplier require personal guarantees on the account? Never deal with these. Does the supplier cut you off at 30 days or better? Are payment terms negotiable? Can I get 60 days credit and how flexible is that? What warranty does the supplier offer? Omron here offer 2 years - cannot beat that either. There is a lot more in making a decision one way or another than most employees realise. It is my money - I have to decide what is financially best for me as the owner. Swings and roundabouts - I can actually get a better supply offer than what I currently use regarding credit terms, warranty and the like BUT the software is awful and development and commissioning time would increase - not on! I have also considered the Automation Direct supplier in Australia - I refused to sign the account application at all - 30 days from date of invoice - a lot of other caveats - stick em for mine! LOL Lot more to it than just buying hardware and getting free software.

... whats wrong with what you are using? I like Wago's so unless there is something that you cant do with the Wago I would stay with them.

I wish the OP was not like a hit and run :) still wanted to know what was wrong with the system they are using and why they think its not the 2nd tier ?

Bob said:
I think I have used everything mentioned here and I am not a huge fan of any of them

Same here but I like just about everyone... I dont find much different in ANY system out there, they all do the same thing so it boils down to your budget who's going to support it.

Write it in ladder, add comments and use something that the end user is familiar with, if they have AB then stay with AB, dont get a Wago and write it in statement or it will be a disservice not a service you are providing

hmmm so do you like chocolate or butter nut ice cream or any other flavor

I'm with BobB!
I'm also self employed and do approx. 20 applications/year.
OMRON ALL THE WAY!

Tech. support and online resources all free.
My initial investment in CX-One software over 12 years ago has paid itself off many times over and has been consistently updated at NO additional cost.

I'm with BobB!
I'm also self employed and do approx. 20 applications/year.
OMRON ALL THE WAY!

Tech. support and online resources all free.
My initial investment in CX-One software over 12 years ago has paid itself off many times over and has been consistently updated at NO additional cost.

And by the way just because Siemens and AB appear to dominate many markets and are perceived as 1st tier by the uninformed I do NOT consider OMRON in any way as 2nd tier. Head to head their control platforms perform just as efficiently at markedly lower cost in both simple and complex applications.

My 2 cents.

Just doing a job with the Schneider dual rack system - needed the latest software - damned expensive and support/update only lasts 12 months then one has to pay a heap again. It took 7 weeks to come from France? Very poor service. I started using a trial version - it ran out - had to go and buy a new laptop to use the trial version again as the software plants a file somewhere on the computer to stop you using another install of the trial version. Fair enough IF you can get the real version in a reasonable time. Not good for mine. Never again one would suggest. And the software is pretty painful as well.

Yes - very happy with Omron and just as powerful as the rest of the so called big guys. Have not become involved in the silly PAC controller rubbish either! LOL

Just doing a job with the Schneider dual rack system - needed the latest software - damned expensive and support/update only lasts 12 months then one has to pay a heap again. It took 7 weeks to come from France? Very poor service. I started using a trial version - it ran out - had to go and buy a new laptop to use the trial version again as the software plants a file somewhere on the computer to stop you using another install of the trial version. Fair enough IF you can get the real version in a reasonable time. Not good for mine. Never again one would suggest. And the software is pretty painful as well.

Yes - very happy with Omron and just as powerful as the rest of the so called big guys. Have not become involved in the silly PAC controller rubbish either! LOL

You should have considered using VM for the trial softare then you could have rolled it again :)

I agree Omron are very good. When I was a student the college had some Omron PLCs. I called Omron and they sent me the programming manual and a restricted licence for the programming software totally FOC.

You should have considered using VM for the trial softare then you could have rolled it again :)

Did not expect the paid version to take 7 weeks to turn up LOL.:eek:

Automation Direct has just introduced the Do-More Remote I/O for the BRX PLC.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/Do-more_Series_(BRX,_H2,_T1H)_PLCs_(Micro_Modular_-a-_Stackable)/BRX_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/Ethernet_Remote_I-z-O#Port_Protocol_L_s_R__ms=%22Ethernet%20Remote%20I/O%22&start=0

Here are the specifications:
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/specs/bxrioc.pdf

Here is the manual for the BRX Remote IO:
https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/brxuserm/ch14.pdf

The remote IO for the BRX opens up new possibilities for the Do-More plateform. You can expand the system to 8 remote IO racks.

Regards,

The last few years I've been a big fan of the Automation Direct Productivity series. Everything I need at a very affordable price. Paired with a C-More HMI I am able to do jobs at 30% of the price I was with compact logix and PanelView.
Haven't had a single failure on the 20+ P2000 projects.