Communicate with plc through mobile network

K37Vardan

How to read and write data in Plc through mobile network?

I have created an android application that is able to communicate ( read and write data ) with plc over wifi.
I need to know how can i read and write from and to plc through android app over mobile network/ Internet.

Thank you in advance !!

Last edited:
Connect your PLC to the Internet (better provide protection)
Put the hotspot in your mobile on
Connect your PC with the right PLC software on it to the hotspot on your phone and connect to the PLC over internet.

Well, I'm pretty damn sure this is not the response you expected, but then you should provide us with a better question, preferrably a lot better.

yes sir, I am not looking for that response and my apologies for providing less information. Please check I have updated the question.

VPN.

Virtual Private Network. You will log in to the VPN from anywhere, be it wifi or mobile data networks. And then you are part of that network and can interact with it as if you were local.

VPN.

Virtual Private Network. You will log in to the VPN from anywhere, be it wifi or mobile data networks. And then you are part of that network and can interact with it as if you were local.

My hero's are:

Larry Tesler, creator of copy and paste functions,

and

Stan Hanks, inventor of VPN.

Its nice to not have to drive into the plant after hours.

Can we connect plc to VPN?

Can you connect PLC to the local network? the VPN host device is connected to the same network as the PLC on its LAN port. On its WAN **** you connect it to the internet connection. a major corp should be able to create a VLAN and give it a specific internet reachable IP, the VPN device then gets that IP on its WAN port. Once you get the VPN set up you should be good.

The main problem to transfer data from a PLC through the WAN is the security, two possible solutions:

- VPN
- Use a secure protocol like OPC UA, but of course the two sides (PLC and SCADA/HMI) must support it with full security features

As I see it the open issue here isn't connecting to the PLC. With the proper path established that shouldn't be a problem. You can connect a laptop to a PLC through wireless and that level of connection with a mobile device is no different. What's needed is an app (Android in this case) that can deal with the PLC language I.E. an app that can read from and write to a PLC. There are several out there just do a Google search for "SCADA on Android" and you'll find them.