E WON Questions, Horner, Siemens Logo6, etc Controllers

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok, here is the Deal.

I Have a New small client, has asked me to look after a variety of Locations. Each was built by a seemingly different company before being bought by my New client, so there is no standardization.

1 site, has a bunch of Siemens LOGO6 Brick PLC's each controlling a separate function, another has a Horner all-in-1 controller with remoteIO as well (My first time dealing with them, i like it honestly) another has a SLC 5/03 and the 4th i visited so far has a Micrologix.

I am Good with Allen Bradley, i like the Horner (But i want to see about ordering it to canada fir a spare parts inventory)
The LOGO i am recommending they all get replaced with 1 controller, as he ultimately wants me to be able to remote into each location, and some of these are a fair distance away.

Now in the past I have remoted in through VPN to a computer on site and then onto controllers, but in this case i want to try E WON for each site, as it has High recommendations on here. I have 4 more locations to visit, but just doing some homework now.

Questions:

1. Are the E WON's able to do serial as well for the Allen Bradley's? or do i need to get the NET-ENI for each site?
(I looked at the Cozy, and it is just Ethernet/USB?)

2. Can I remote into the Horner as well with ethernet on the E WON?
3. Is there a Canadian/Alberta Supplier to order from.
4. Any recommendations for me with the E WON

Im hoping that the other 4 sites might lend towards more of a standard before i decide on a controller to upgrade the Logos from, as well as the Micrologix location is about to double in size.

If i must keep with the LOGO6's, i wont be able to remote in (unless there is a communications card???) so where can i get the software and the specialty cable?? Also are spare parts still available.

Thanks.

Last edited:
1. Are the E WON's able to do serial as well for the Allen Bradley's? or do i need to get the NET-ENI for each site?
(I looked at the Cozy, and it is just Ethernet/USB?)
The Cosy 141 was able to do serial but it seems it isn't part of their offering anymore, so you would have to go to an e.WON Flexi.
2. Can I remote into the Horner as well with ethernet on the E WON?
I don't see a problem with anything on the Ethernet port, I remote in with TIA Portal. You will be more limited if you try to use the M2Web rather than eCatcher, but as you are running on a PC you can use eCatcher to make the VPN connection anyway.
4. Any recommendations for me with the E WON
My preference is to go with an external modem, then as technology changes I can just swap the modem without worrying about the e.WON.

There are now other manufacturer that do the same thing as e.WON, search here for 'remote access'.

There are many more e.Won like device now. Spectrum Control's WebPort does serial and Automation Direct also makes a similar box.

The Flexy is much more powerful & therefore expensive than the cozy.
I would put a serial server with the cozy where it is required