VMware Connecting to Devices problems.

jtteresinski

Running Windows 7 Professionsal with VMware® Workstation 14 Player on a Windows 10 host and having trouble connecting to devices (barcode scanners and vision systems), both Cognex and SICK.

Have tried both "bridged" and "NAT" connections...to no avail! To add to the complexity my new pc has no ethernet port, using a ASUS usb to ethernet 2.0 adapter. I know to disconnect it from the host and attach it to the VM.

I have assigned the adapter a static IP on the same network as the scanners/cameras...still nothing.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

If you connect the USB-ethernet adaptor to the VM, you may have to install drivers on the VM. At that point it should show up directly in your VM with no settings required in VMWare, as VMWare doesn't know it exists.

My approach though would be to connect the USB-ethernet adaptor to your host and prove that it works (give it an IP address in the same range as what you're trying to talk to and ping it), then create a virtual network adaptor in VMWare settings for your VM. Set this virtual adaptor up as bridged, and point it to the USB-Ethernet adaptor. Then inside the VM, set your IP to one in the same range as your host, and try and ping both your host and the devices you're trying to connect to. At that point, if the host can ping the device, so should your VM.

In the VM there is a pull-down menu for "Removable Devices" that list the USB-ethernet adaptor when it is plugged in. I click on that and say "remove from host/connect to vm." This works...so it appears the drivers are installed.

It, the adaptor, does work in the host.

I will try bridged virtual adaptor route, thanks.

in the VM can you right click on Computer and go to manage, then see if the USB adapter is noticed within the VM itself.

if it is then go to the start menu and type in Network, and click on Network and Sharing Center. Once there on the left side go to Change Adapter settings and set the IP on the USB-Ethernet converter.