RSView32 7.500.00 CPR9 SR1 Multiple Computers

StephenEA

I am running RSView32 on multiple computers in a production facility. There are a total of five computers, each running the same project file, except for loading different macros to handle a single monitor or dual monitor computer. A couple of the machines have RSView32 Works installed and a couple of them have the runtime only installed. I have been updating the project and loading it to all of the computers. Four of the machines run Windows 7 as the OS and one runs Windows XP as the OS. There is one machine that has been having wireframing on SOME tags on SOME screens. This has generally been resolved by rebooting that machine. I am not using OPC or DDE. The project file was setup to use a direct communications driver to a PLC-5/80. All five RSView32 stations communicate to this single PLC using a direct driver for the RSView32 node. It appears that all of the tags are set to Scan Class A, which has a foreground period of 1 sec and a background period of 5 sec. Has anyone had any similar issues? If I have not explained enough of what is going on I can get more info. There is a Professional Version of RSLinx OEM running on the computer where some of the tags wireframe in RSView32. Since I am using a direct driver to the PLC5/80E, there is no DDE topic setup in RSLinx. Apparently this system has been running as it is for a few years, and I am only hearing about the wireframing issue now. I have yet to find a link between updating the project and the start of these problems.

Last edited:
I will also add that rebooting the computer can get rid of the wireframing for a time, but it seems that a day or two or three later, a button or graphic will not animate, or a click of a button will not set a tag that had worked after the reboot. Most of the solutions I have seen relate to all tags wireframing, but not some. I have been given a suggestion by Rockwell tech support to delete the Harmony files for RSLinx and reboot. I have the tech note procedure, and I am willing to schedule this and attempt it. I am not certain of how RSLinx serves a role between the PLC-5/80E and the RSView32 runtime when a Direct Driver is used. I also might have neglected to mention that the connection is over Ethernet for the PLC and all five of the RSView32 computers.

Have you added any other systems that are communicating to the PLC? The more systems that directly communicate the less time the PLC has to service everyone.

You should also visit speed and duplex settings the computers and/or the switch(es) between. Majority of the time too many systems are trying to communicate with the PLC, or there is mismatched speed and duplex settings.

Thanks. I am not aware of any new systems added, but I will ask our customer. They would know more about any other installs made by other controls integrators recently. I have also increased the node timeout in RSView32 for the direct driver from 3 to 5 seconds. I also changed the foreground scan to 2 seconds from 1 seconds for Scan Class A, which appears to have been assigned for all tags used by the original programmer. I just updated two of the machines with this project update, including the one that is a problem child that has dual monitors. I will see what happens.