FT View Crashes when Testing .MER

Otis598

After I modify a Display in FT Studio, I save the display, hit the running man to test my changes. The mer is almost loaded and then I get "FactoryTalk Studio has quit working" and I have the option to check online, close the program, or debug the program. I have tried 3 different mer's of varied versions (6.1, 7.0, 8.1) and they all crash. The program also crashes when I try and create MER files. I tried talking to Rockwell Support but they don't want to recognize my new jobs TechConnect number because they won't let me change my account but that is a different issue.

Problem Event Name APPCRASH
Application Name VStudio.exe
Application Version 2.74.0.11
Application Timestamp 55b1f1fd
Fault Module Name ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version 6.1.7601.23864
Fault Module Timestamp 59fa490
Exception Code c0000005
Exception Offset 0002e49b
OS Version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Last edited:
Can you give the details about the machine that you are trying to run this on?

edit: What version of FactoryTalk Services Platform and RSLinx Enterprise are installed on your machine?

Last edited:
Laptop is a Dell Precision 7510
The software is installed on a VM running windows 7
FT View Studio 8.10.00 (CPR 9 SR 7.4)
no Patches
Build 13
RSLINX
3.900.00 CPR 9

When I originally setup the VM, FT worked fine. Well the VM blew up and I had to reinstall everything again. I tried a reinstall but that didn't help either.

If you look in the Windows add/remove programs, check the versions of:

RsLinx Enterprise
FactoryTalk Services Platform

report back with those versions.

FactoryTalk Services Platform 2.9
RS Linx Enterprise 5.74.00

So I think your problem is that Rockwell requires some version matching of those two software packages, though they make confusing to follow. In your case, you will need RSLinx Enterprise 5.90 so it "matches" FTSP 2.90. You probably installed a newer package that upgraded FTSP to 2.90, but not RSLE.

As this version "matching" started becoming a thing, they started including RSLE with software that didn't actually use it in order to keep the revisions "matched". For example, if you install Studio5000 v30, it will come with RSLE so that when it upgrades FTSP, it will also upgrade RSLE.

This nonsense has made order of installing software important. When we were running FactoryTalk View Studio v8, this bit us. We installed FTVS last, we ended up with this version mismatch. If we would have installed it first, Studio 5000 v30 would have corrected the versions and we probably would have never noticed.

edit: RSLE v5.90 comes with Studio5000 v30 and FactoryTalk View Studio ME v9

Last edited:
So if I install FT v9 it should fix the issue? I think I did install FT v9 on my prior install with my virtual machine but skipped it this time do to we have no Panelviews using version 9.0

So if I install FT v9 it should fix the issue? I think I did install FT v9 on my prior install with my virtual machine but skipped it this time do to we have no Panelviews using version 9.0

There are no guarantees in FactoryTalk land. Installing V9 would fix the mismatch, since the problem you have is a symptom of the mismatch, I'd bet a tiny bit of money that it will fix it. Install it in a snapshot to test.

And FYI, when you make a runtime, you can select the target version. So let's say you have a PanelView with v7.0 firmware and you are using v9 software. When you make the runtime, you pick v7.0 as the target, it will run on your v7.0 PanelView when you download it.

I have been hesitate to move up versions of FT unless necessary. We upgraded a few panelviews from 6.0 to 7.0 a few years ago and a few of the graphics developed minds of their own.

I have been hesitate to move up versions of FT unless necessary. We upgraded a few panelviews from 6.0 to 7.0 a few years ago and a few of the graphics developed minds of their own.

I hear ya. What I was trying to get at in my previous post is that you don't have to upgrade the PanelView. You can update your software to v9 and leave your PanelView at its current firmware revision.

Hi, I think I am suffering something similar, I cannot test an application without it crashing whilst making the .MER for test.

RSLinxClassic 3.9.01
RSLE 5.8
FTSP 2.9

Am going to try version 9 FTVStudio as seems to have helped above.

Last edited:
Hi, I think I am suffering something similar, I cannot test an application without it crashing whilst making the .MER for test.

RSLinxClassic 3.9.01
RSLE 5.8
FTSP 2.9

Am going to try version 9 FTVStudio as seems to have helped above.

You will need to bring RSLE up to v5.9. This can be done by upgrading FTVS ME to v9, or installing Studio 5000 v30.