FT View Crashes when Testing .MER

Thanks very much for the help,
Let this be a lesson to me in not following advice exactly, I upgraded to v31 studio 5000, which not only did not install correctly because of "studio view designer 4.02 cannot be installed on top of V2.02" it seems to have completely got rid of RSLE and replaced it with a magical new FT linX version 6! How to roll this back I wonder, if necessary because it has seemingly fixed the problem of crashing while compiling the mer file in FT View Studio......

Thanks very much for the help,
Let this be a lesson to me in not following advice exactly, I upgraded to v31 studio 5000, which not only did not install correctly because of "studio view designer 4.02 cannot be installed on top of V2.02" it seems to have completely got rid of RSLE and replaced it with a magical new FT linX version 6! How to roll this back I wonder, if necessary because it has seemingly fixed the problem of crashing while compiling the mer file in FT View Studio......

NEVER roll anything FactoryTalk back. RSLinx Enterprise is now called FactoryTalk Linx.

Installing v31 should have worked as well, if they would have handled View Designer properly. In previous versions of Studio 5000, it would simply install the updated View Designer along side the old version.

When I installed v31 and ran across the installer stopping because of View Designer v4, I noticed in my add/remove programs that v2.x and v3.x were supposedly already installed (probably from v24 and v28). I removed them both, ran the v31 installer again and it completed happily.

Just an FYI, FTLinx 6 has an issue if you use the "String Input Enable" object to write strings to the PLC. The string will be written but it the length ends up +1 of the string that you wrote. So you'll end up with a "%00" at the end of every string. They do have a patch available, KB1072763

Thanks for this extra tip, I'll watch out for it.

Its useful to know about these software matching requirements that exist so thanks for helping on that. Nothing came up about that in the knowledge base.
Cheers