Labeling additional wiring on someone else's machine

Timeismoney08

All,

Quick question.

I have a scheme for how I label my own wiring, but do you have a method you follow for labeling someone else's already built cabinet?

I didn't know if I should keep going with their scheme or start another convention in case they make their own changes.

Thanks in advance!

Think about the people who are going to have to maintain the system after you've moved on. If you use two different wire numbering schemes you're making it more difficult to troubleshoot.
The other side of that coin would be: If you use a different numbering scheme for new wires, that would be an indicator that those wires/components were added after the initial build. Could be useful information during troubleshooting.

I would say that one needs to follow what's there already or if there's a print with wire numbers (we do that all the time) then follow the wire number scheme from the print. That's what I have to do in the field when I'm starting up one of my projects. I can't just yahoo a wire in there without a tag or use a different wire number system.

The other side of that coin would be: If you use a different numbering scheme for new wires, that would be an indicator that those wires/components were added after the initial build. Could be useful information during troubleshooting.

That's a fair point to make, but I'd go with maintaining the existing standard.

Always go with the existing scheme!

What gets weird if you're interfacing your own stuff with someone else's.... then who do you follow, your scheme or theirs? I go with mine usually :D

It seldom happens since we build our own systems but when I've made changes to panels built by others I follow their method but add an asterisk(*) at each end of the line/label to denote that it's not original to the system.

Just to throw this out there, I just did an emergency retrofit, which are two words that should never be put together. Took a hard wired system and added plc control, and due to cost I could not move the entire machine over to plc control. Because of this I had to keep wire numbers in part of the machine and plc io type on part. It is best to follow what's there, but if you have to use two systems make sure that they are clearly segmented.