PLC5 Ethernet solutions

Hi there.

I'm looking to find some solutions to poll our PLC5 in the field via Ethernet.

Currently, I have two half-made solutions.

Solution #1:
Connect PLC5 to DHRIO card of ControlLogix and ENBT to SCADA system

Solution #2:
Connect PLC5 to Equustek7000 device and EQ7000 to SCADA

Both solutions don't account for protocol handling on the SCADA side, would I have to setup up multihop messaging for the solution #1 to work?
How does solution #2 account for the protocol handling?
In both cases, I can get RSLinx to find the PLC5, however, I cannot poll it into our SCADA system.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting everything. Essentially, I understand the physical medium changes, but how does layer3/4 get taken care of (if we use the OSI 7 layer model).

Thanks for any help that you may have!

have you checked the prosoft products? i know i have a DH+ to ethernet gateway on my site that is now redundant but not sure if your scada will have drivers for it.

what SCADA?

https://www.prosoft-technology.com/...-IP-to-Allen-Bradley-Remote-I-O-or-DH-Gateway
AN-X-AB-Right_medium.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

We do have access to a AN-X2 from Prosoft, so I will definitely give that a try. We are using a Schneider SCADA system.

Is the 1785-ENET communicating via CIP or DF1? We do not currently own one, but if the drivers were to work with our SCADA system, I could definitely give that a try.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Schneider is associated with at least three major SCADA/HMI software companies, so if you can provide more details about which software product you are using that would help.

Bridging through 1756 backplanes requires some of the functions that only RSLinx Classic has, so you could install an OPC Server license and use that software as your driver.

The EquusTek 7000.... I'm not sure.

1785-ENET "sidecar" modules were originally equipped only with the PCCC/CSPv4 protocol, but later modules were dual-stack and also supported CIP. The compatibility of the 1785-ENET and the PLC-5 requires a little bit of careful examination: RA Knowledgebase Article ID 61405 (Access Level: Everyone) has the details.

Hi Ken, thanks for the information!

We are using the Schneider Telvent 7.5 system.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the DHRIO in slot chassis solution would work if I was to configure a topic/OPC server in Rslinx and poll that through our SCADA system?

Telvent wasn't even one of my guesses !

If it can be an OPC DA client, then RSLinx Classic can serve up data via the ENBT -> backplane -> DHRIO -> DH+ -> PLC5 path you describe.

RSLinx Classic knows how to send a CIP packet to the DHRIO that requests that the module perform a PLC-5 type DH+ transaction and report the results. Most other software products do not (including RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Linx !).

It's also worth asking KepWare if their OPC server can do the same thing; they tend to study Rockwell protocols more closely than other vendors.