Strip floating point number apart for compare

Tim Ganz

What is a good method to take a floating point number and strip off the numbers to the right of the decimal so they can be use in a compare instruction?

Moving the floating point number to an integer address should strip off the numbers to the right of the decimal and leave me with the whole number to compare but i also need to be able to compare the numbers to the right of the decimal separate also.

Truncate (trunc) is the function that removes decimals.

Decimal := Real - trunc(Real);

Last edited:
he wants the decimal (fractional) portion. Truncate removes the fractional portion leaving the integer

Seriously?

Decimal := Real_Val - trunc(Real_Val);

This doesn't work??

I've even tested it. Real_Val = 10.53 gives Decimal = 0.53

trunc.PNG

Last edited:
I need glasses, didnt look at the whole string, got stuck on the Trunc instruction. You're right.

MOD is a single command with the same result so either way works.

I need glasses, didnt look at the whole string, got stuck on the Trunc instruction. You're right.

MOD is a single command with the same result so either way works.

The reason why I would like to give a different solution is that the modulo (mod) function doesn't handle real (floating point) in all systems. Some systems only allows int and dint (and alike) for mod.

He didn't state what system he uses.

Do you want -10.53 to return:
-0.47?

It would be nice to handle a negative number just for future reference but in this instance its setup so that the number i am working with can never be negative.

The result i am trying to get and put out to the HMI is for example 69.8125 would be 5 feet 9 13/16s inches.

38.1875 would be 3 feet 2 3/16 inches and so on.