Reprogramming Stretch wrap line

Christoph

I have inherited a stretch wrap machine from one of our
sister plants. The mfg is out of business. It was installed
with multiple feed conveyors. Now it will be fed by fork truck
with 1 entry conveyor, the wrap section and 2 exit conveyors.
the program is very very ugly and does not perform very well
I am doing a rewrite but not sure how to proceed. Should I
step everything.?? Give me some feedback everyone.

Thanks again.

Couple of questions for you:
1. Does it HAVE to be reprogrammed? I ask this because of many factors such as:- do you have the time? Is it worth investing the time/money required to correct the fact that it doesn't work "very well"? Is there a budget or time constraint involved in this task?

2. What PLC are you going to use/is used?

3. Are you looking to improve the process? (i.e. are you going to increase production by doing this?)

4. Are there any other machines on site that you can emulate?

1. I Have This Week To Complete. No Budget. Just My Time.
2. Plc Is An Ab-5/04
3. Yes The Process Needs Improved
4. And Yes There Are Other Machines But A Totally
Different Breed (sensor Types, Roping Add On, Speed Pallet
Mearurement)

Guess I Still Could Look At The Method Used In The Prgm.

In your opinion, do you think it is it just a matter of tidying the program up or a complete re-write?
It sounds like you've simplified the system somwhat by reducing the number of infeeds so I can only imagine that you're making the process simpler/faster. Starting with the original program and "picking the bones" out of it seems like a good place to start, there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.

You might try and save the program with a new name. Then delete the areas you do not need. Then concentrate on what you do have and fine tune it.

You also might see that the different INFEEDS use some type of prox sensor to determine product or a selector switch does this. You can eliminate the electrical connections. That will be the fastest way to NOT USE the NOT THERE functions. No programming the plc involved.

Also, you concentrate on getting ONE out put working right. Then you can cut and paste the logic and reassign the addresses.

I recommend if the current program does not use sub routines, you put the input, wrapping and each output into a sub routine. It cleans things up and the lines of code to look over when there is an issue is SSSSOOOOO much easier to accomplish.