Ultra 5000 firmware and Logix 5000

69FIREBIRD

Hi, I've been asked to upgrade / reinstall the firmware and then possibly the application on an Ultra 5000 motion controller after what looks to be corrupt firmware. I haven’t had anything to do with these motion controllers before I'm lead to beleave that I can use Logix 5000 to reinstall the firmware and then reload the application.

Can anyone confirm the basic procedure / steps that I can expect?

What version of Logix 5000 do I need to be running? (I have version 10, 11, & 13 loaded at present).

Thanks in advance.

69FIREBIRD said:
Hi, I've been asked to upgrade / reinstall the firmware and then possibly the application on an Ultra 5000 motion controller after what looks to be corrupt firmware. I haven’t had anything to do with these motion controllers before I'm lead to beleave that I can use Logix 5000 to reinstall the firmware and then reload the application.

Can anyone confirm the basic procedure / steps that I can expect?

What version of Logix 5000 do I need to be running? (I have version 10, 11, & 13 loaded at present).

Thanks in advance.
I'd go to the AB site and downoad firmware versions for your hardware that are supported by V13 of RSL5K.
Anything newer you may have issues with.
"Control Flash" usually comes with the firmware packages.
You can use it as a stand alone tool and flash the firmware to the 5000 drive(s).
You do not have to do the firmware upgrade via RSL5K.
Your choise.
Control Flash will prompt you to select which hardware and if you are using an ENBT all you will need is the ethernet patch cable to access your modules.
If the 5000 are stand alone drives you will need the serial cable (this will suck big time timewise).
DO NOT abort the firmware until you get a confirmation that it is done or you may end up with dead weight!
Not sure if you need a Tech Connect contract to download firmware but at least you will nedd to register.
One more thing, if you do upgrade to a higher firmware version, some of the motion instructions may give you an error, you'll have to manually figure out how to work around errors (if you get any).

Last edited: