Mitsubishi GX Developer Installation

Birdman89

Hello fellow PLC programmers. I've spent the last couple days working through various problems with a Mitsubishi PLC, and I'm hoping that my experience could be useful for others in similar situations.

We needed to replace an old Mitsubishi FX1S PLC in a machine we sold in the 1990s. Mitsubishi has recently stopped selling the FX1S series PLC. According to Mitsubishi the replacement for our machine was the FX3S-14MR/ES, which is what we bought.

Software:
Up to now we have just been programming old Mitsubishi PLCs using Medoc 2.3, but the FX3S PLC is too new to be supported in Medoc. Apparently the recommended program to use for programming these is GX Works2 but we didn't want to have to buy software if possible as we are just providing legacy support. Luckily I found that our company had an old licenced copy of GX Developer-FX, version 8.00. I was able to use the ProductID to download the latest version 8.91V for free, which does support the FX3S. Go to https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/en, create a "My Mitsubishi" account, then navigate to "My Software Portal" and "My Registered Software" and enter your ProductID. This won't help you get free software if you don't already have a ProductID, but was exactly what I needed.

Win7 Installation Problem:
I had a lot of trouble installing GX Developer-FX ver 8.91V on my Windows 7 PC (32 bit). The installer simply wouldn't run when I clicked on it. The solution I finally found was that the file address was too long, since the installer was in my download folder. I moved it directly to the C:\ drive and was able to install it fine then. I chose to install the Medoc import tool, which was later necessary.

USB Programming Cable:
We normally use an SC-09 serial cable to program these PLCs and should still work. I found that GX Developer-FX can make a connection with the FX3S PLC using a direct USB connection which is much easier, just using a normal mini-USB cable. When connecting to the PLC over USB, you will be prompted to install the USB driver. It is located at C:\Program Files\MELSOFT\EasySocket\USBDrivers

Other notes:
- I was able to import the old Medoc program into GX Developer very easily
- You have to select FX3G under PLC type but this will work with the FX3S

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps!