SLC and RSLogix 500 "write to EEPROM failed"

Skidood

Hi all, yesterday I was at a customer site doing a PM and after making a couple of minor mods to the program, I went to back it up to EEPROM (yes there is a memory module installed on this 5/04 CPU and yes I was in PROG mode). Window comes up "write to EEPROM failed" and I immediately lost connectivity through RSLinx. This happened twice so I just gave up, but I have a weird feeling it actually did successfully transfer. Anyone run into this?

Last edited:
I think there is a write protect jumper on the EEPROM . . .
But I don't know if it has to be present, or removed . . .
Poet.

There's a bug in some older versions of RSLinx (I remember it with 2.41) that fails to properly process the "write to EEPROM command accepted" reply from the controller.

Instead of showing you the "EEPROM write command started, you will now lose connection while the controller reboots", RSLinx assumes that there was no reply from the SLC when the Write to EEPROM command was given.

This was most common with indirect connections to the controller, like DH+ via a DHRIO to a 5/04, or Ethernet via a Net-ENI.

The only way to verify that the Write worked was to Restore from EEPROM and look for the changes you made.