Studio 5000 Install

Tim Ganz

Can multiple versions of Studio 5000 be installed from the CD like RS Logix 5000? Example we have RS Logix 5000 Versions 12-20 installed on our VmWare machine.

Is it a good idea or ok to install Studio 5000 on the same VmWare machine as RS Logix 5000?

Is there a way to install the multiple versions if you don't have the CD just working with web downloads?

1. Yes; S5K install packages tend to be significantly larger than the RSL5K ones, however, you might be able to burn several revisions installs on the same DVD.

2. Nope.

3. Yes, managed web downloads are perfectly functional although they run heavy on size- 5-6 GB a piece; if you do spend the time to download the installs, an external hard drive (some $150.00 for 1 TB) is much more suitable for storing them.

Yes, Studio 5000 Logix Designer IS RSLogix 5000. They've just absorbed it into a massive all-in-one suite. Studio 5000 will--eventually--program the new Panelview 5000 terminals coming out later this year.

Yes, you can install Studio 5000 alongside RSLogix 5000. If you open an ACD file version 20 and below from Logix Designer, it will close Logix Designer and open RSLogix 5000 automatically. There is practically no difference.

You can download each version and install them separately, but they will reside together.

A little bit of advice: version 21 has that minor-rev-thats-really-a-major-rev problem so I would avoid it. Version 23 was only out for a few months and had some problems. Version 26 just adds a few more features to version 24. Personally I would stick with version 26 and only install the other versions if you have to (you have processors with those versions out in the field that you'll need to get online with).

Also, a bit of a warning, version 26 has insane system requirements. The minimum...yes minimum...is a Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz Processor and 4 GB RAM. They recommend 8 GB of RAM, a Core i5, and 20 GB of Hard Drive space. Why so much I have no idea, but keep that in mind before you install more versions of Studio 5000 than you have to.

1. Yes (1 major revision of each)

2. Yes - I have side by side and Rockwell supports this. I definitely would and do (sorry 2nd poster - difference of opinion)

3. Yes

...... Version 26 just adds a few more features to version 24.

...... version 26 has insane system requirements.

The straw that broke the camels back, no doubt....

Logix5000 programming software has over the years steadily developed into a dinosaur, each new version progressively showing signs of age.

Still defeats me why it takes so long to startup, "Checking Activations" must be trying to "dial home" instead of looking locally first.... o_O

Also, a bit of a warning, version 26 has insane system requirements. The minimum...yes minimum...is a Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz Processor and 4 GB RAM. They recommend 8 GB of RAM, a Core i5, and 20 GB of Hard Drive space. Why so much I have no idea, but keep that in mind before you install more versions of Studio 5000 than you have to.

I find v24 infuriatingly slow. I have a powerful, but 32-bit PC so that I can work with some of Rockwell's other software (RSView, PanelBuilder, etc.) and our transition to v24 has significantly increased my development times. I hope this can be addressed in later revisions and not just made worse.

I also use RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 on the same machines without problem.

Major versions of Studio 5000 can be installed next to each other (example: i have v21.03 and v26.00 installed on the same machine.) It even uses the same launcher and launches the correct version for the file trying to be opened.