general career advice

unsaint32

I am seeking an entry level automation technician job. I was a construction electrician, but after taking some PLC, instrumentation, hydraulic, instrumentation classes at a local college, I just knew that was my calling.

Much to my surprise, I am getting interviews from two companies next week.

Company A manufactures plumbing material. This company seems very socially conscious and was voted as #20 best companies to work for in my state. The job is a night shift. At the age of 40, I am not thrilled about working at night and sleeping during the day. But I think I can manage it.

Company B processes water all over the world. The job is 70% on the road. but I don't mind traveling.

Both jobs look for PLC and HMI skills. The official title of the company A job is "maintenance automation technician." The company B's job is "control technician."

I am trying to decide which job I should take if I get both offers. The pay is about the same and pay is not my concern any way. I know my job description is too brief.

I guess I am seeking a general career advice for someone who is aspired to becoming a successful automation process control technician in the future.

Any advice would be appreciated.

take whatever job feels right to you. you need some experience before you figure out what you want to do. the field you are describing is very broad. do you want to troubleshoot and repair equipment? design and build? setup and commission? manage projects?

Just my $0.02, but if you are still a newbie then 'A' may be the better choice. By being in a fixed location at least support is reasonably close by when you run in to something you have little experience with and you get stuck (and that will happen). The job on the road often means you are 'it' onsite, and without the experience if you do run into issues you have little backup. I also think being on third shift is a good learning experience, when equipment goes down you can really dig into the problem without management breathing down your neck.

Just my $0.02, but if you are still a newbie then 'A' may be the better choice. By being in a fixed location at least support is reasonably close by when you run in to something you have little experience with and you get stuck (and that will happen). The job on the road often means you are 'it' onsite, and without the experience if you do run into issues you have little backup. I also think being on third shift is a good learning experience, when equipment goes down you can really dig into the problem without management breathing down your neck.

I agree. Night shift is certainly a great learning experience, although not suiting everyone.

I agree on System Integration, however the OP is looking at Technician jobs, which typically an SI will have titles of "Control Engineer". Obviously "Technician" has many job descriptions pending the company, I think the OP really needs to create a vision of what he wants to do, 5-years where do you want to be?

Do you want to support systems, or create systems? Work on projects or just fix/support someone else's project? There are a lot of opportunities in the Twin Cities area which fall between your current Company A & B job descriptions. You can probably find something in-between as it sounds like A&B are at extreme ends of the spectrum.

Did you graduate with a degree of sorts? You mentioned you took some classes but did you walk away with a piece of paper that says your smart?

I appreciate all of your highly valuable advice.

To further describe myself, I do not have an engineer degree. However, I have a certificate that required about one year of full time load training. After that I took more PLC, instrumentation, fluid power classes for one semester just to improve knowledge.

As most of you hinted, I think the most important thing for me right now is to get my feet wet in the industry, since I don't have a clue as to what specific area I want to ultimately end up.

Traveling and encountering different systems sounds exciting and intimidated at the same time. I think I am chickening toward the night position (that is if I get the job of course).

I got a phone interview from the company A. I am hopeful about this prospect, considering the job was posted more than a month ago, and they gave me a phone interview although I have no automation job experience.

Again, thank you so much for your advices.

I worked for a water utility for over 10 years. There are a lot of other things in the water business like flow, disinfection water math, distribution etc. The water job would probably get you more adept at controls and PLC's.

Well, you asked so ......
I think the local plumbing company is the better choice. They didn't get to be one of the top employers by accident.
Traveling is great for a while but it can get old really fast. 70% is 255 days a year on the road and the chances are 70% means at least 70%. Remember the old adage .... "First prize is a week in Cleveland and second prize is two weeks in Cleveland!"

Having done automation at a potable water plant for over twenty years, I can tell you that there are not many boring days. Always something to do, a nice variety of challenges. However, I also dealt with companies at the plant who specialize in certain sub-systems. Those jobs were much less varied, becase they do basically the same thing repeatedly, just in many different plants. It is good for exposure and seeing what is "out there". I met some really good techs who know their stuff; on the other hand, I met some that had me questioning why any company would allow that guy to go out and represent the company! I would ask enough questions to be confident that you'll be adequately trained before hitting the road.

original posting update

It's been 7 wks since my first interview with the two companies. I had more interviews recently. Now, I have more than positive feelings that both of them will offer me job. Following some of your advice I tried to identify my long term career vision as an automation technician (NOT as an engineer). Problem is that I am too new to narrow it down. I want to experience it all; programming, building, and commissioning.

I am convinced that the company A will help me actively on my career development no matter what I decide to pursuit (programming or building, i.e.). Their plant mainly uses CLX5K on ethernet/IP. Parallel production lines. Each line with basic Powerflex drive, some servo motors, and about 20 input points. Not a terribly complex system. It's a manufacturing factory that runs 24/7. Many of their floor programs are written in C or VB by in house engineers. As a newbie, I will have a lot to learn at least for the next two years. I am excited about that. But, my concern is, after 2-3 years, would I feel itch for variety?

Great advantage of working for the company B is that they do water treatment all over the country and beyond, from municipals to small factories. I will get to see all different kinds of automation systems. That is very exciting. But it is 90% traveling, which I do not mind at the moment. However, my question is, does the company B want me to stay being the technician who mainly does troubleshooting, fixing, and commissioning? Or would they support me on my career development if I later want to do more programming and bullring down the road?

Again, my infinite thanks to all your advice.

Its good to work with company B as it gives u lot of exposure,different locatons,diff people,diff systems.

after some years u can go to any maintainance job with lots of experiance,plus night shifts will destroy ur health.Health is wealth.

Unsaint32,

One thing I would consider is family. I loved my last job as a Robot/PLC programmer troubleshooter. I was gone a lot and that was hard on my marriage, and I missed a lot of my kids growing up. (2 of whom are now in the military hundreds of mile away, and I don’t see as much as I would like). As much as I loved that job, I love my family more and took a Maintenance Supervisor job at a local food processing plant. I can program to my hearts content here, I am treated very well, I have this great site to learn from, and I am home every night. Just my thoughts....Best of Luck!!

Personally, if they are one of the top 20 companies....I'm sold!

Regards,

Matt

I got the job at the company A. During the last 2 months, this company had given me the tour of the plant, and answered all of my questions. I was excited about the prospect of the company B for all the different automation systems I get to see. (I am single so traveling was ok with me) But they were not very helpful with me trying to find more about the job. The interviewer was a supervisor who had been with the company for a month. When I asked If I could talk to one of their technicians (who is doing what I would be doing), they refused. So, it was a good lesson. What I will get to do as a PLC technician is important, but who I will work for is also very important.

Thank you so much for all your valuable advice. I am going to be this forum's supporting member, and I look forward to using the forum more (God knows I will have questions) and hopefully contribute in the near future.