XP Pro not reading activation disk

dogl1

I'd like your guy's opinion before I call AB. I've installed RSLogix 5 on a new desktop with xp pro. When I put in my activation disk, it tells me the disk in drive A is not formatted. I found this to be true in ANY desktop with xp pro. The disk reads fine and activation transfers in all computers with 95 or 98. Is this an issue with the age of the master disk (1995 on the label) or the fat used at the time of production?

Yes, it works fine on 98, but the problem still might be related to the MS tech note you referenced. I will be delving into this deeper.Thanks for the info. :)

I think you need EvMove V4.7 or some thing like that for activation.
That part of rockwell software utility.
you can download it here
http://www.ab.com/versaview/EvMoveCF.exe
If its not work try to move the activation throught the network.
If it still not working move the activation to CF (you need to formated before)
by one of your PCs with Win98 then move the activation to the XP.
IF NOT CALL A-B.
That my best for now.
Please let me know what happen.

The disk........

Well.......I can't say a whole lot without giving up AB's copyright protection scheme but.........If you can get it to browse the disk it will install fine......You just need to use the 32 bit version of EVMove.....There is a reason that it doesn't recognize it as formatted but that is the trick to that little "can't copy me" disk.

I have 3 different licenses installed and working fine on an XP system using the local floppy drive.

Dave

This sounds similar, but reverse, of the XP/98 floppy problem.

I have found many instances where a floppy written on a XP machine (PRO or HOME) can not be read on a 98 machine, but is fully readable on another XP, a ME, a 95, and even a DOS only notebook.

If you can transfer this disk to a 98 machine, try this:

1) Transfer the key to the 98 machine.

2) Format a blank disk in the XP machine.

3) Put the newly formatted disk in the 98 machine & transfer the key to it, with copies of the other files on the original (do NOT copy EVRSI.SYS or 386SWAP.PAR to the new disk!)

4) Try to move the key to the XP machine on the floppy that was formatted on it.

Greg

Got the activation moved to my xp machine by using an xp-formatted blank disk with the suggested files. My 98 machine also had RSLogix 500 on it, so I moved that one back to it's master first, or else emove will put both licenses onto the new floppy. Emove will not move it back from the xp machine to the floppy, but at least it's on the desired computer and works. AB scratched their heads on this one and could not give me an answer, but they're sending me a new master disk. Thanks for the help guys, it saved me a lot of time waiting for the replacement. Dan

dogl1

"emove will put both licenses onto the new floppy"
Emove should let you edit the number of moves, change the RSLogix500 key to 0 moves.

"Emove will not move it back from the xp machine to the floppy"
Another FUN WinXP item - on an XP machine you can only move the key back to THE original AB key disk that that key came on from AB.

Since you moved the key to a blank floppy on the 98 machine, it's not the original. Since you now have the key, try to moev the key to the original & see if your XP machine now recognizes it or still reports it's not formatted.

"scratched their heads on this one and could not give me an answer"
I get this response EVERY time I have had to call AB Tech Sup & have always ended up figuring it out myself anyway, with AB a few times wanting me to tell them the solution, but not for my consultation fee.

Greg