ML1100/1762-IF4 Analog Input Help

Tpetie3509

Hardware:

Micrologix 1100 & 1762-IF4 Analog Input Module

Problem:

I have one 4-20mA transmitter hooked up to I1:0, I am monitoring the current as it comes in while I adjust it. The transmitter is outputting a good 4-20mA range, however the input as it comes into the PLC will stop at around 11.5mA at a raw value of 17673.

I am using a 12VDC power supply as it is a 12V PLC and the transmitter is 10-30VDC.

I can't figure out what would be causing this unless I'm underpowered which doesn't make sense as the transmitter and PLC are rated for operation well within what I am using.

Thanks

is module configuration set for 4-20? Sometimes defaults to different settings.

Also, wouldnt use a power supply for this. Use a current source.

Configuration is set for 4-20mA.

Are you referring to troubleshooting the PLC? I have to be able to use a power supply out in the field to power the PLC and the transmitter.

My money is on the transmitter power.

Can you provide the make model/catalog number of your transmitter?

Voltage to a transmitter will dictate how much load it will support.

So in order to get a full range reading, am I looking at a power supply of 21.75VDC for the sensor? I'm not quite sure I understand what these specs are telling me.

Thanks

I would say more like 17 to 18 volts. But I would use a 24 volt power supply for the transmitter.

You need voltage to drive thru your load, the more load ( in your case 275 ohms) the more power (Voltage) is required to drive the 4-20 ma.

The 24V power supply solved the problem, now to figure out how to get that kind of power to a solar powered remote station..

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

I already have a solar panel and battery setup out there for a 12V system. I think I will try one of the converters and see how it does. There is minimal total load on the system. Thanks again for all the info and replies!