Licensing Studio5k Designer & FactoryTalk View Studio

Big J

I'm thinking about taking on some Controls side work. If I do I'll need my own laptop with Studio 5k Logix Designer & FactoryTalk View Studio for ME. I've used these Rockwell products for years, but I've never had to concern myself with the licensing until now. Can you guys give me an idea how much these software licenses are going to cost & how much it's going to cost to maintain them year-after-year? I'd like to take on the side work but I'm not sure it warrants the cost of the software.

Thanks in advance...

Of course it varies, but you will probably end up spending around (erm, at least) 10K for the software. It would take a few projects to pay for the software. Studio5k is around 5-7K and view ME is upwards of 5K.

After that, support and upgrades are handled through TechConnect. You can get the email only support option, which also unlocks upgrades for your covered software for around $1500.

Those numbers do not include View ME runtimes. You can mitigate your cost by choosing other HMI packages. I've been playing with Automation Direct's point of view. You can get a 40 hour free trial at their site, and I like it a nice bit (though I still prefer ViewME). The licensing is WAY cheaper. Keep in mind that those numbers are from memory, and pricing for a company I no longer work for.

You are better off looking at Toolkit licensing, 8-5 support. Last time I looked into this it was ~ $5000/year. Enterprise toolkit as a consultant. Gives you everything you would need. You do need a formal company and there is an application process.

Don't forget the insurance side of side work...

Thanks for the responses. If I take the work I'd be working as a temp for an integrator. I believe they have licenses available through their company. I think I'll require them to provide the licenses.

The insurance angle is one I did not consider. Hopefully, the integrator's insurance would cover me as well.