Factory Talk Network Directory

infineum

I installed the Factory Talk automation platform on my computer when I loaded RSSQL and RSView. I am able to configure a local Factory Talk Directory without any difficulties. When I try to configure a network directory so I can use RSSQL or RSView Distributed, I get an error stating user cannot be authenticated. I have an administrative account. In addition, I created a new administrator user and still cannot log on. I have no problems logging onto the local network directory. I read through all of the AB knowledgebase articles and cannot find a solution. I also re-installed the automation platform. Any ideas?

Success

After working at this issue for quite a bit, I discovered a resolution. When RSSQL or RSView SE(CPR7) is installed, one of the first items that must be installed before is the factory talk automation platform. During installation, both a local and network (global) directory can be configured. For RSView machine edition or SE standalone, the local directory is only needed. For RSSQL and RSView SE distributed applications, a network directory must be setup in addition. The security profiles for these directories is separate and distinct. Therefore a user name and password is configured for each. These inital administrative passwords are not windows linked (windows 2000 users). In order to provide access to these programs using your computer username and password, this user must be installed in each directory separately. I must have set up my windows username and password in the local directory only. Therefore my windows based username and password would not work in the network directory and prevented the use of RSSQL or RSView SE with a distributed application. In windows 2000, FactoryTalk sets up a log in the event viewer (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services >Event Viewer > FactoryTalk Diagnostics). This log archives every event that occurs in FactoryTalk applications (RSView, RSSQL, RSLinx Enterprise). I noticed that I had successfully in the past logged onto the FactoryTalk network directory. I then tried to log into the network directly using this username and my best recollection of passwords. After a few tries, I entered the correct password but had unfortunately locked out the username. I reset the username using the factorytalk directory configuration wizard (Program > FactoryTalk Tools > FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard). Is this fun or what? The user manuals and Rockwell help refer to some of these items but really did provide me with enough information. Luckily I stumbled onto the solution.

FactoryTalk sucks is all I can say! I'm dealing with this same issue trying to get FTAC going. I wasn't around when the FTAC was installed, another integrator did it, and I don't know the FT admin password he put in during the install! What a CF, I hate this part of Rockwell's, they should stick to PLC's...leave the DCS stuff to a company that knows what it's doing...ie iFix or DeltaV, their distributed platform is totally miserable!

FactoryTalk sucks is all I can say! I'm dealing with this same issue trying to get FTAC going. I wasn't around when the FTAC was installed, another integrator did it, and I don't know the FT admin password he put in during the install! What a CF, I hate this part of Rockwell's, they should stick to PLC's...leave the DCS stuff to a company that knows what it's doing...ie iFix or DeltaV, their distributed platform is totally miserable!

I agree that the FactoryTalk directory system is a mess. Especially with ME. However, the FactoryTalk directory has nothing to do with PLC's or DCS's specifically, so what you say here about DCS's makes no sense. There is nothing about this that tells me Rockwell is trying to emulate a DCS. FactoryTalk View is HMI software, not a DCS system.

Not to be picky, but it seems to me that with FT Network Directory, Rockwell is trying to have a product that allows you to have a central place to manage security for multiple PLC's and HMI's from. To me that seems pretty close to what a DCS does with a central database which connects to multiple controllers and operator displays.

Anyway, mostly this is just me ranting, which I concede not very helpful, but sometimes I like to google a forum with "<insert product here> sucks" and see if others are sharing my pain or if its just me...so I figured I'd let others know of my pain so they know they're not alone banging their heads against the FT Directory wall.