A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

Is there a way to show the logic from an Allen Bradley PLC live? In case my machine goes down, it would be easier for my operators to look at the monitor and scroll through the code on the HMI instead of waiting for the engineer to come out and set up. I want to see the actual code live, not just I/O. Thanks.

In case my machine goes down, it would be easier for my operators to look at the monitor and scroll through the code on the HMI instead of waiting for the engineer to come out and set up.

You want Operators to troubleshoot code??? Sounds like you need to work on your PLC/HMI designs.

Hashmi.mohammad, what you are talking about is exactly what RSLogix does. If they are qualified and you want them to see the logic then the best way to do that is to give them a laptop with RSLogix. People generally use HMI's so that they can give operators and maintenance information without giving them access to the logic.

There is an argument that a properly designed HMI will give the operator and maintenance personal all the information they will need to operate and troubleshoot the machine without the logic.

I just want to know is it possible to view the RS Logix 500 / 5000 code on this HMI without having to connect a laptop to it, I'm not looking to get into any arguments, ha ha.

The HMI is already used to see I/O coming on and off and help with basic troubleshooting, but can this particular one showcase all the logic like RS Logix does? I posted this question on another forum and a kind member sent me a link to this thread. Has anyone been able to do the above? Thanks.

Oh, ok, I thought this machine was like a cheaper version of the panelview / cmore. So to understand correctly, this machine is just a PC with HMI software also? What are the advantages of using this machine compared to just having a C-more panel or Panelview? Or buying a cheap industrial PC? Can you use the internet on this PC also?

Read between the lines of code

That question has been asked and answered before. The ROI is just nowhere near being there.

Paully is right. You can go far beyond just showing the IO on the HMI. If there are other conditions that have to be made before an output comes on, then make pop-up screens that show the true/false state of these conditions/inputs. I've made faceplates and AOIs for this on conveyors running or cylinders running. If you have operators that can read PLC code, then they ought to have the software on their laptops! Prepare to enjoy a heaping helping of spaghetti code šŸ™ƒ

I realize you're wanting a straight answer to your question, so here it is:
NO

What everyone else is trying to tell you is that you're trying to reinvent the wheel, and there is much better ways to get the correct information to your operators.

šŸ»

Yes, you can make pop up screens also on C-More panels also and I figured out you can't showcase the logic.

But now I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of using this advanced hmi vs. a c-more / panelview. If this software had the ability to pull logic and showcase it without having to buy another license, then it would be amazing.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone is worrying about the operators! Don't worry about them, they are not being overworked or anything, ha ha. I want to move forward with this thread by understanding the pros and cons rather than worrying about what the operators are doing!!!!!

The advantage of AdvancedHMI is that it is free and pretty easy to use. It also uses free Visual Studio to create the applications, which is popular among software developers.

There is no functionality to show ladder logic.

Yes, you can make pop up screens also on C-More panels also and I figured out you can't showcase the logic.

But now I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of using this advanced hmi vs. a c-more / panelview. If this software had the ability to pull logic and showcase it without having to buy another license, then it would be amazing.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone is worrying about the operators! Don't worry about them, they are not being overworked or anything, ha ha. I want to move forward with this thread by understanding the pros and cons rather than worrying about what the operators are doing!!!!!

Seems a reasonable request to me. A password protected method of accessing the code would be great - in a previous company service engineers have wanted to make small changes to code when they unexpectedly found an issue during a routine visit and didn't have the tools to sort it. You could do this on the old Fanuc CNC monitors, it was clunky but doable. No one ever fiddled with code without authorisation. Remote access makes this unnecessary but then an increasing number of companies are extremely nervous of outside firms having access to their systems.

I never understand why people who don't know your working environment decide they know better what you want or don't want! Anyway, it seems this isn't available but I shall be giving Advanced HMI a go anyway as a low cost method of datalogging and trending. Great bit of work!

In common with most HMI's ,Advanced HMI drivers only access the tag database and cannot make program changes .It can be used to change timer presets or other tag based parameters .
Please be aware that AHMI has its own drivers to connect to a PLC and these can conflict with RSLinx which RSLogix uses to connect RSLogix programs to AB PLC's . It is not recommended to have AHMI and RSlinx running on the same computer unless they are in seperate VM's or equivalent .
Paul

I think the only potential for conflict is when using the serial driver since only one application can access the serial port. This isn't a problem with AHMI, you can have this issue with any 2 pieces of software that use serial ports.