strange---only one slot work on Remote IO

RobinWang11

Hi Guys,

I just set up a SLC5/05 (L552) PLC and a remote IO rack.communication looks ok (input point works fine), but i can not get output card work.
My configuration:
Main Rack:
Slot 0: 1747-L552
Slot 1: 1746-IB32
Slot 2: 1746-IB32
Slot 3: 1746-OW16
SLot 4: 1746-OW16
SLot 5: 1746-OB16
SLot 6: 1747-SN (Series B)
Romote Rack:
Slot 0: 1747-ASB
Slot 1: 1746-IB16
SLot 2: 1746-OW16
Slot 3: Empty
LED on Main Rack:
Comm: solid green
Fault: off
Led on remote rack:
Comm: Solid green
Fault: off

Dip switch on SN card:
1---On
2---Off 115.2BD

Dip switch on ASB card:
SW1: all on
SW2: 2,3,8off (rest on)
SW3: 1,3,6off (rest on)

G File: Logic Rack 0 Group 0 checked only
1/2 rack selected

My input card works fine. When i applyed a 24VDC signal on any points of remote DI card. I can read the status change on my Data file I6.0/0 to I6.0/15. However, when i forced or toggled bits from O6.0/0 to O6.31/15, no led on IO card was turned on!

I switch the DO card on main/remote rack, they all works fine on main rack-----that proved my module has no problem
i move CPU to remote rack and use "read IO configure", CPU can read all card on the remote rack (A4)---------that proved my rack has no problem.
I reset my G file to 1/4 rack and turn on SW2--8 on ASB card.I got same problem.
I switch DI and DO card on remote rack. DO card work, but DI card stop work----It looks only the first slot works !!!

I am so confuse about this situation. Anybody has met this problem before? any suggestin are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I dont have the switch combo at hand, but have you possibly selected ½-slot adressing ?
If so, a 1/4 rack equals 1 slot.
And that could explain why you can only access the 1st slot.

Have a look around your status files, I think probably one labeled Rack, and you may find it is set up with a slot or unused slots disabled,
I had one recently where a new card would not work and this was the problem,

1/2 rack---G File

I just double checked the G file in my configuration.
Logical Rack 0, group 0 has been checked and 1/2 rack been selected. Furthermore, SW2--5,6,7 are on 8 is off (that's 4 logical groups)
It looks correct...

Hmm, sounds like you do have all of your switches set correctly. The only thing I would do differently is the setting for SW3 Switch 3. I leave that in the default "restricted" mode unless I have some reason to change it. But still, that would not account for this problem.

Your G-File settings sound right too, and I see you just double-checked it.

The slot disable thing wouldn't apply to a remote chassis only local and since you can read your input we know that the scanner module is ok.

What message are you seeing on the front of the ASB module?

OG

Ok, that's what we want to see.

So the address for the output module should be O:6.1/0 through /15.

You mentioned that toggling never got you anything. Do the bits cycle back to zero or do they stay as a "1"?

OG

Well, I am stumped. You seems to have tried everything.

I dont think the S:11 and S:12 I/O slot enable bits that Gil mentions are relevant. These bits inhibits slots in the main rack, so they cannot account for the individual slots in the RIO rack.

After i toggled a bit, it stay as "1".
I even program several rungs (using remote input point I:6.0/0 to active O:6.1/0)
When i apply a 24VDC on I:6.0/0, i do see the led on DI card turned on and I:6.0/0, O:6.16(O:6.1/0) change status on Data file. However, the led on DO card never on!

Ok, I just caught this part:

I switch DI and DO card on remote rack. DO card work, but DI card stop work

What about Slot #3 in the remote chassis? Will either card work in that slot?

OG

This may be a hardware issue. Try switching the output card and the input card around. Then toggle your outputs, and also check and see if the inputs show up in the new slot.

I just switched DI and Do card again.
The result is only slot 1 work (DI and DO all work fine in Slot 1). no matter DI card in slot 2 or 3 they all stop work. i applyed 24VDC on point 0 of DI card when this card on slot 3. The led on the card turned on but the status on Data file never change!

I also contacted with tech support. They could not figure it out as well.

I am guessing.... somehow the rack has some problem or slot 2 and 3 were disabled.

I will try to get an another rack to test it again (hopelly on next week). If you guys have better idea, please let me know.

I will post the result...

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Only other thing I can suggest is to double-check those switch settings and post what all switches are set to. Maybe post a copy of your RSLogix project. You can delete all the code, we would just want to see the I/O config and G-file setup.

However it sounds as though you have been very thorough so far.

OG

Just a thought,
Try jiggling the dip switches on the rack in case there is one not contacting correctly or has a spot of corrosion,
be a little aggressive in the action.